10/15 redfish rejection

Went to Wac on Sunday. Got there just after dawn. The plan was to find new structure as fishing has been tough lately outside of a few old reliable spots. Water was high and dirty all morning. We found beautiful structure that held fish that simply wouldn't bite. We made a long run back to familiar water and picked up a rat red and a snooklet on a mirrodine. I was desperate so I cut up a lady fish and we bottom fished and used a cork. I hooked two drag screamer sharks. One was a spinner shark and just went absolutely insane with jumps and topwater headshakes before breaking me off on an oyster bar. Adam had the hot stick and the cork put several reds in the boat. These were the laziest reds I think I've ever seen and barely fought despite being upper slot fish. He had a few breakoffs on the bars too. One we came back a few hours later to look for. It refused to eat so I had to snag the cork that was still attached to it with a mirrodine. That was pretty hilarious. The tide started to drop big time and water was blowing out hard and the wind was screaming so we rolled out after that. It was the toughest day I've had in a long time but the new spots we found will pay off eventually.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,885 Moderator
    At least.. Well , you know the rest. I haven't caught a red in several years. :shrug
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    I needed a day on the flats, so even with not much catching I enjoyed it!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,339 Captain
    We've had to work really hard for a few bites also. The only two reds we got on Sunday also came on cut lady fish. Sometimes they don't want to chase it down I guess. Thanks for posting
    You should have been here yesterday
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,580 Captain
    Drag screamin' sharks sounds like fun. We had similar experience with reds last winter. Lots of reds and we tried a variety of baits like you, but could only get an occasional small fish. This went on for weeks. At least if you are seeing good fish you know they will bite eventually. :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • one more driftone more drift Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Sounds like a lot of action and some keepers to boot, thanks for the report.
    I think the water being dirty makes lure fishing tough. I am used to stained water but silted up water makes a bite almost impossible. The Wac has been cranking out dirty silty water for months. It makes sight fishing almost impossible when you can't even see the head of the trolling motor.
  • Gator4LifeGator4Life Gainesville,FlPosts: 576 Officer
    I went to CK on Sunday for a couple hours and got skunked. Something shut them down.
    Grasshopper
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 924 Officer
    Couldnt get the reds to eat Sunday either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Maybe I'm glad I went to the game instead of hitting the water....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,755 Captain
    Couldnt get the reds to eat Sunday either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saturday they didn't want shrimp. (Or I couldn't get them past the trash) But would hit cut bait.

Sunday shrimp is all they wanted.

It was odd...
    I almost never have shrimp with me. If I can't make them eat artis or cut bait I'm in trouble.