In the market for new bow. Need advice

WHISKEYTRAINWHISKEYTRAIN Posts: 95 Greenhorn
Hey guys, I bought a ready to shoot bear showdown about 7 years ago and am looking to upgrade my setup. I know there are numerous great bows on the market but was looking for a little insight on suggestions for a new one. Would like to stay up to the 1000 price range.

Do you suggest buying another ready to shoot package or going and building a bow from scratch. I'd like to check out an archery shop to make sure whatever bow I get fits me properly. Is it worth buying straight from an archery shop or searching online? I'm in the Broward county area so it seems like archery shops are few and far between.

Any advice would be appreciated. Starting looking at archery talk forum but it seems like all the types of bows and accessories is overwhelming.

Forgot to add, the primary function for the bow is hunting

Thanks

Replies

• Thunder43Thunder43 Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    Matthews Halon. Go to a shop a shoot one. Realize how much things have changed. Buy it. Go home and hunt.
  • mossyhorn9mossyhorn9 Posts: 321 Deckhand
    My advise would be to visit as many shops and shoot as many bows as possible. Opinions are like a-holes and everyone will tell you different. Every bow feels and shoots different. Find one that YOU like.

I personally am no fan boy of any particular bow company and have owned many over the years. I am currently shooting an Obsession Sniper and absolutely love it. It has everything I look for in a bow but again, that's just my opinion...

Whatever you do make sure the bow is fitted to your draw length and tuned properly. Even the best of bows will shoot crappy if these things are not correct.

If you don't know how to do these things yourself I would suggest finding a good pro shop or someone who does.

As far as your accessories go, I would spend the money on upgraded equipment. Drop the money and get it over with. If you like archery you will continue to upgrade and eventually have the best and end up spending even more money in the long run. Just spend the money now and get it over with. Then you can just transfer it to the new bow when/if you get a new one.

Best of luck...
    You can blame it on my rebel raisin'...
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,042 Officer
    I have bought new bows as a package and as components. The best thing I learned was to travel around to different shops and shoot as many different bows as possible most of my buddies shoot brand x and i just didn't like them.I went to three shops and let them know i was looking to buy a bow and shot as many as possible. If you live in broward could you travel to palm beach? There are a few retailers in palm beach county. Google will help with that. After buying a package I started buying more and more online and ended up with enough archery crap for a lifetime. Go shoot as many as you can and see what you like. If you don't have the confidence putting one together get a package deal. Good luck in your search.
  • WHISKEYTRAINWHISKEYTRAIN Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the responses guys. Yes I'll def do some searching in palm beach as well.
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    mossyhorn9 wrote: »
    My advise would be to visit as many shops and shoot as many bows as possible. Opinions are like a-holes and everyone will tell you different. Every bow feels and shoots different. Find one that YOU like.

I personally am no fan boy of any particular bow company and have owned many over the years. I am currently shooting an Obsession Sniper and absolutely love it. It has everything I look for in a bow but again, that's just my opinion...

Whatever you do make sure the bow is fitted to your draw length and tuned properly. Even the best of bows will shoot crappy if these things are not correct.

If you don't know how to do these things yourself I would suggest finding a good pro shop or someone who does.

As far as your accessories go, I would spend the money on upgraded equipment. Drop the money and get it over with. If you like archery you will continue to upgrade and eventually have the best and end up spending even more money in the long run. Just spend the money now and get it over with. Then you can just transfer it to the new bow when/if you get a new one.

Best of luck...

This^^
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 463 Deckhand
    I have bought several bows from Gator Guns and Archery in Palm Beach, corner of Okeechobee and Military Trail I believe. I sometimes still make the drive up there and I'm in SW Miami-Dade. I deal with Nate who is very good. Like Grits said, shoot as many as you can till you find the one that feels right. For me it was a Hoyt Carbon Spyder.
    Good Luck and happy hunting
  • If_it_flies_it_diesIf_it_flies_it_dies Posts: 1,133 Officer
    If I had $1,000 to spend first bow I'd look into would be the PSE Evolve. Hearing a lot of good things about these.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,321 Officer
    MCSHunter wrote: »
    I have bought several bows from Gator Guns and Archery in Palm Beach, corner of Okeechobee and Military Trail I believe. I sometimes still make the drive up there and I'm in SW Miami-Dade. I deal with Nate who is very good. Like Grits said, shoot as many as you can till you find the one that feels right. For me it was a Hoyt Carbon Spyder.
    Good Luck and happy hunting
    Yep . That’s where I go and I live in broward. Dave and John are also very knowledgeable. Mossyhorn9 gave good advice.
  • MaineRidaMaineRida Posts: 179 Deckhand
    I also agree with mossyhorn9. When I was young and green I luckily walked into the right bow shop. I looked up and down the racks and then asked the owner "which is the best bow"? He answered with "the one that feels the best to you, if you are comfortable with the feel you will enjoy it more which means shooting more". The owner could have pointed me to the most expensive set-up and I would have bit.
    In the long run he made more from me since I purchased many bows and other equipment from him as well as pointing others in his direction.

The highest priced "state of the art bow" may not feel good to you. They all have 70+% let-off and shoot 300 fps, hmmmm 200 fps use to be screaming 😱 and flat shooting! Buy what you like and look up un biased reviews about performance, returns, and customer service if you find a couple that are equal in your estimation.

Good luck
  • 22donk22donk Posts: 425 Deckhand
    I would steer clear of big box stores. People above basically nailed it. The one that fits you the best and feels the best. Find a shop that will actually spend time with you and work with you to find the right bow. I know Chase at Lotus Gunworks in Stuart (I think Stuart) really takes his time w/ his customers and would highly recommend him.
  • GrimlockGrimlock Posts: 77 Greenhorn

What kind of accessories would you buy for upgrades? I was thinking of getting a new stabilizer maybe, but I am not sure if that would help much more than the stock one.
  • BowtechGen3BowtechGen3 Altoona, FlPosts: 778 Officer
    Defiantly agree with above shoot several and see what you like best. I just purchased an Elite Impulse 31 over the summer and wouldn't trade it for anything else imo
    Director - Central Florida Dog Hunters & Sportsmans Association
    https://www.facebook.com/CFDHSA

1461718pb77ew55q8.gif
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain

Best of luck...

^^^ Visit as many shops and shoot as many bows as possible.

Obsession, Mathews, Elite, Bowtech, Hoyt, Diamond, Bear would all make a good start. Don't buy a 'package' bow that already has sight, rests, etc. Piece it together. Also be wary that many of the shops are required to push a brand over the other so they will try to steer you to Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt, etc. depending on what their affiliation is.

I currently shoot a 2007 Mathews Drenalin w/ a Spot Hogg Hog It Hunter sight and a QAD Ultra HD rest. It's slow but it's a smooth draw and dependable. If I were looking now I'd start with the Obsession line. I also do all my own bow work as I don't have any shops close that I trust 100% to get everything right. If you want to know how to set one up, this is a good start:
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 214 Deckhand
    Certainly go shoot a few before you make a decision. I decided on the Halon 6 last year. However, you can find these bows for nearly half price on certain classified sections. I bought the barebow online and then bought all of the components from a local pro shop. Paid just about what a new Halon would cost for one that had 50 arrows through it with brand new, top of the line components.
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,521 Captain
    22donk wrote: »
    I would steer clear of big box stores. People above basically nailed it. The one that fits you the best and feels the best. Find a shop that will actually spend time with you and work with you to find the right bow. I know Chase at Lotus Gunworks in Stuart (I think Stuart) really takes his time w/ his customers and would highly recommend him.

This, great shop in Okeechobee also that is 100% archery.
  • WHISKEYTRAINWHISKEYTRAIN Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will plan on visiting the archery shops and shooting some bows. Was not planning on going through a box store. Have you noticed archery shops prices being competitive?
  • CoralspringsdadCoralspringsdad Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    You might want to also look into a crossbow. I have a compound and a crossbow and i think that it’s much easier hunting with a crossbow. You can get benchrested for shots from a stand and i think we’ve all spoked at least 1 deer trying to draw on them (crossbow is ready at full draw).

Most crossbows are also flatter shooting than compounds in the same price range which will increase your effective range.

The biggest downside to a crossbow that I have experienced is that the purists don’t like them and you will get some comments from your hunting buddies that don’t approve. You might also shoot through some backstops when target practicing at ranges and might want to bring a bag or cube

The equipment in archery has improved drastically over the past few years and it should be fun trying out your options for the best fit.

Good luck,
  • mossyhorn9mossyhorn9 Posts: 321 Deckhand
    Grimlock wrote: »
    What kind of accessories would you buy for upgrades? I was thinking of getting a new stabilizer maybe, but I am not sure if that would help much more than the stock one.

I custom ordered an Axcel Armortech sight with 2 .019 and 1 .010 pins, Axion SSg-6 stabilizer, QAD Ultrarest HDX and a Tightspot quiver.

This is my set up but again, opinions are like a-holes...
    You can blame it on my rebel raisin'...
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will plan on visiting the archery shops and shooting some bows. Was not planning on going through a box store. Have you noticed archery shops prices being competitive?

Some things to think about..

If don't know, or want to know how to work on your bow, then maybe building a good strong relationship with an archery shop with a good bow technician who can tune and work on your equipment. If this is the case, you should consider buying at least one bow and accessories from said shop.

If you are mechanically inclined and working on your bows is something you do, or would like to start doing, then you have options to save a lot of cash when buying bows and equipment.
    You can get good/great deals on archery specific websites that have a classified section. I started buying used and 'new in the box' year old bows off Archery Talk back in 2009 and haven't regretted it.

However, buying bows off the internet isn't for everyone, so you have to weigh your options.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • bb2200bb2200 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I would say it will depend on budget as well. Building your own can get a little on the pricey side, but well worth it IMO. I agree with everyone else, visit several places until you find one that is comfortable to you. Shoot a variety of bows. I have owned several PSEs, Martin, Hoyts and others. Two years ago I screwed up and shot an Obsession Fusion 6, knew then and there I had to have one. Got over $1200 tied up in it, but never once have I suffered "buyers remorse"! Hoyt and Elite are good bows too. My son shoots an Expedition and loves it