CARBON MONOXIDE SCARE

We have a 15000 gas generator hooked up to
our house run ac and most everything.We had
a house full of family including our 9 month old
grand daughter.After 3 days they all got power
and went home on the 4 th day i woke up with
a severe headache and almost passed out.Woke
up the wife and she was the same way.Opened
all the windows and kept ac going to vent out the house
.Only thing i could figure is came in through vents
in soffit so i taped them shut and all was fine for
the next 2 days.I am going to get the detectors
and put in house.I guess it was not our time to go.

Replies

  • Gary SGary S Posts: 1,799 Captain
    Thankfully you woke up. Hope you get your power soon.
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 661 Officer
    Wowww glad you are ok
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,613 Captain
    I've long wanted a permanently installed stand-alone generator for my house (hooked up to local gas line and on its own slab so we'd never be without power in an outage) but I'd never want any combustion engine where it could possibly feed CO fumes into my house... At a minimum any house with a generator should have more than one CO detector inside near that possible source of danger... Glad all made out okay -carbon monoxide poisoning is just deadly under the wrong circumstances - particularly since it's odorless and the symptoms come on slowly while your family is sleeping....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,487 Captain
    So glad it worked out the way it did Neal. Scary stuff, but good lesson for us all.
    Thanks

    Pura Vida!
  • Where'dMyBaitGoWhere'dMyBaitGo Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    LLLLUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Glad it worked out, it is that day and age where you need c02 detectors in any enclosed space with equipment.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain
    LLLLUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Glad it worked out, it is that day and age where you need c02 detectors in any enclosed space with equipment.

    The generator was 12 ft from house with exaust
    away from house but fumes still made it into
    the house.Thank GOD my 9 month old granddaughter
    was not here that night.
  • Lucky
    My fishing buddy woke up a couple days after the storm and noticed the next door neighbors garage closed and heard the genset running.

    Knocked on the door, no answer, called 911 and they found the guy dead in his house. The night before my buddy warned the guy and offered to help move the genset out of the garage but the guy was afraid someone would steal it.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,613 Captain
    Years ago when I was still in law enforcement a young cop working a midnight shift was killed while sitting his patrol car -another CO victim.... This was in Dade county, about 25 or 30 years ago.
    It left a lasting impression on me.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,338 Officer
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Years ago when I was still in law enforcement a young cop working a midnight shift was killed while sitting his patrol car -another CO victim.... This was in Dade county, about 25 or 30 years ago.
    It left a lasting impression on me.

    i remember the above tragedy well. After that the County installed CO detectors in all police cars.

    I had a near miss with CO while working after hours on the second floor of the Coconut Exhibition Center back in the early 1990's. Some morons placed a running generator in the bottom stairwell with both bottom doors closed, while they worked setting up exhibits for the annual Orchid Show on the main exhibition floor. I got a headache and became drowsy upstairs in my office that had no door between me and nearby stairwell.I did not smell anything, but i went downstairs since i could here something running, and when i walked down I could not believe what i was seeing. When i turned off the generator several workers started screaming at me "What are you doing !! We are working her !! " When i fired back and threatened to call the Fire Dept and cursed out their intelligence, they shut the h-ll up and moved it.
    Giimoozaabi
  • stebfishstebfish Posts: 176 Deckhand
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    I've long wanted a permanently installed stand-alone generator for my house (hooked up to local gas line and on its own slab so we'd never be without power in an outage) but I'd never want any combustion engine where it could possibly feed CO fumes into my house... At a minimum any house with a generator should have more than one CO detector inside near that possible source of danger... Glad all made out okay -carbon monoxide poisoning is just deadly under the wrong circumstances - particularly since it's odorless and the symptoms come on slowly while your family is sleeping....

    Hey Bob, if you ever decide to go with a natural gas whole house, go big! I am an electrical contractor in Broward. I had two customers fry their Kohler whole house generators because they were sized to barely handle the load. After almost a week it took it's toll. A close neighbor of mine cooked his diesel whole house the same way. They went from full electric and AC to nada. One of them hoped on a plane and took off to Taiwan! My little Honda is in my shed. I wait till after the storm, then pull the generator into the doorway with the exhaust pointing out. I turn it off to fuel it. I have a panel in the shed I back feed to house service panel with transfer switch. keeps lights, fans and fridge and freezer on. uses about 6 gallons a day. I try to shut it down late at night and give it a rest. A buddy of mine had a neighbor sleep in their car for two nights in a row. I was worried that something like that would happen to them with even the smallest exhaust leak.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,613 Captain
    Thanks for the info Steb - actually we've been quite lucky over the years - our house is on the same grid as the big hospital at Pines and Flamingo so we rarely are out of power very long... Having more power than you need is always a good idea whether its for your house or with the vehicle you tow your boat with....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • one fish two fishone fish two fish Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Anyone running a gen anywhere near the house should order co2 alarm. Cost about $20 and can save your life. After a few days with no AC we bought a window unit but had to move gen close enough to plug in directly. My wife was nervous so I bought an alarm and kept it in the room. I would not have done it on my own, glad I listened to her.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain
    Anyone running a gen anywhere near the house should order co2 alarm. Cost about $20 and can save your life. After a few days with no AC we bought a window unit but had to move gen close enough to plug in directly. My wife was nervous so I bought an alarm and kept it in the room. I would not have done it on my own, glad I listened to her.

    I will have the alarms in my house for sure after
    this past episode.
  • acme54321acme54321 Posts: 351 Deckhand
    My old boss has a generator running in the back of her pool enclosure during and after the storm, figuring that the breeze through the enclosure would be enough to dissipate the exhaust. She luckily has CO detectors, which after a day or so when the wind started to die down went off, before they had any symptoms, but scary none the less.
  • one fish two fishone fish two fish Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    co2 alarms are cheap. Really worth the investment in safety and piece of mind.
Sign In or Register to comment.