Home Ask the Law!

Commercial fishermen Fine

NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
Special Agent Allan Coker
NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement

Replies

• DudeDude Posts: 1,789 Officer
    He was caught in 2009... Swift justice.
    DUDE!
    2meanfish1.gif
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,701 AG
    $52,000 is good.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Mako254Mako254 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    Perhaps you could provide a few more details, because a $52,000 fine is a bit excessive for being a few fish over the limit, no matter where the fish were found. Do the fish in the pictures acurately portray the total catch and how they were found?
  • I am totally shocked by the statement which seem to indicate a NOAA enforcement officer was actually on the scene. Must have has special permission to leave the office and take a boat ride.

Seriously this is a very very rare thing on the East Coast of Florida. They just don't do field enforcement.
  • DougDoug St PetersburgPosts: 160 Deckhand
    doesnt look like alot of fish for a 52k fine
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,643 Captain
    If he had a hidden compartment it was not the first time he did it. Just the first time caught.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,500 AG
    A commercial fisherman from Palm Beach County was fined more than $50,000 after officers discovered hidden fish during an inspection of his boat at Port Canaveral.

David Sanderson, 44, of West Palm Beach was issued two fines totaling $51,975 regarding three counts of harvesting king mackerel in excess of the commercial limit and two counts of making false statements to law enforcement officers.

The penalties, which were issued in late October after a lengthy investigation, stem from a check of Sanderson’s commercial-fishing vessel, the Stapleton, on Dec. 23, 2009, by officers from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Information on the inspection was released today.

The officers discovered a hidden compartment that contained more king mackerel, commonly known as kingfish, than is allowed by federal law, the state wildlife agency said in a statement.

“This type of illegal activity has a serious impact on the livelihood of other commercial fishermen, as well as the sustainability of the king mackerel commercial fishery,” one of the inspectors, Agent Mark Fields of NOAA’s Office of Law Enforcement, said in the statement.

Fields documented the harvesting overages on three occasions.

Sanderson has 30 days to request a hearing before a federal judge regarding the violations of the U.S. Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation Management Act.

From Nov. 1 through March 31, the commercial limit for king mackerel south of the Flagler-Volusia county line and north of the Miami-Dade-Monroe county line is 50 fish per day. After Feb. 1, limits may increase to 75 fish per day if 75 percent of the quota has not been reached.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • The officers discovered a hidden compartment

I wonder how many times he got away with it?
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Mango Man wrote: »
    A commercial fisherman from Palm Beach County was fined more than $50,000 after officers discovered hidden fish during an inspection of his boat at Port Canaveral.

David Sanderson, 44, of West Palm Beach was issued two fines totaling $51,975 regarding three counts of harvesting king mackerel in excess of the commercial limit and two counts of making false statements to law enforcement officers.

The penalties, which were issued in late October after a lengthy investigation, stem from a check of Sanderson’s commercial-fishing vessel, the Stapleton, on Dec. 23, 2009, by officers from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Information on the inspection was released today.

The officers discovered a hidden compartment that contained more king mackerel, commonly known as kingfish, than is allowed by federal law, the state wildlife agency said in a statement.

“This type of illegal activity has a serious impact on the livelihood of other commercial fishermen, as well as the sustainability of the king mackerel commercial fishery,” one of the inspectors, Agent Mark Fields of NOAA’s Office of Law Enforcement, said in the statement.

Fields documented the harvesting overages on three occasions.

Sanderson has 30 days to request a hearing before a federal judge regarding the violations of the U.S. Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation Management Act.

From Nov. 1 through March 31, the commercial limit for king mackerel south of the Flagler-Volusia county line and north of the Miami-Dade-Monroe county line is 50 fish per day. After Feb. 1, limits may increase to 75 fish per day if 75 percent of the quota has not been reached.

Thank's for copying the article from the link, but I'd like to know more about the case. Its one thing if they documented three occassions where the suspect came in with LARGE quantities of fish, its another if they got him three times with what is shown in the pictures. Harvesting ""overages" could be one fish over the limit or it could be one thousand. As far as making false statements to an LEO, it could be as simple as this: Officers check his legal catch, then ask the suspect "are there any more fish on the boat?" and the suspect says "no". Based on whats in the pictures, a defendant in state court would almost certainly walk away with less than a $500 fine. Does the same case get a $52,000 penalty in federal court? Is there more to the story?
  • You did see the part about "the officers discovered a hidden compartment" Right?
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    All I'm asking for is details. How many fish are we talking about? How was the compartments "concealed"? It seems like an EXCEPTIONALLY large fine. Why? What made this guy special?
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    Mako254 wrote: »
    All I'm asking for is details. How many fish are we talking about? How was the compartments "concealed"? It seems like an EXCEPTIONALLY large fine. Why? What made this guy special?

Sorry, I was just posting the info. I'm not allowed to post details about an investigation. You would have to take another route for that kind of details.
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • RobertRobert Posts: 42 Deckhand
    I think there is a huge difference in a person being a few fish over than a commercial boat that is fishing everyday, who knows they are breaking the law and has a hidden compartment to regularly conceal illegal fish.
  • LODI QUACKERLODI QUACKER Posts: 149 Deckhand
    Sorry, I was just posting the info. I'm not allowed to post details about an investigation. You would have to take another route for that kind of details.

Sounds likethe "investigation" is over bud. If the mans already been handed down his fine, then what in the world is the problem with the details?

Sounds highly suspect to me!!!!!!!!!!
  • madflyfishingmadflyfishing Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Maybe the fine will deter him and others from doing this. I'm glad to see someone held accountable, period. Regardless of the amount "over the limit", he chose to not follow the law......Having the hidden compartment simply says he has made a practice of this and it finally caught up to him.