Winter Park/Maitland chain of lakes

Can anybody tell me about the Maitland chain of lakes for bass fishing? Thanks

Replies

• seantrvsseantrvs Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Frogman1963, I've always had better luck in the 10-15ft depth range on these lakes fishing soft swim baits just above the vegetation. You can always pitch docks and catch fish but most fish I've caught with any size have been deeper. Any of the canal mouths between the lakes have fish so that always a good place to concentrate. Good luck!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,144 AG
    Grew up fishing them back when the water was actually clear. Big pads of hydrilla which made for some great fishing. Have not fished them in many years now. Plastic worms and noisy baits at night were good. Use to be some Sunshine bass stocked into the lakes at times too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,773 Admiral
    That's where I grew up too, and if it's anything like it was (probably worse by now) there were so many ski boats \ jetskis whatever that fishing around the edges was a PITA if they were out there.

If you time it right though, there are some good fish. I think the hydrilla is mostly gone, I could be wrong.
  • skankin pickleskankin pickle Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    i live around the corner from it and fish it all the time off the sup. the clarity in lake virginia isn't very good but lake mizell is like fishing an aquarium. lake osceola and maitland are hit and miss with clarity. lots of big bass in the canals. i honestly think they are super cagey. they don't give me the time of day no matter what i throw artficial or live. i see the same bass in the mizell canal all the time. i see him so much that i eventually had to gave him a name....wally seemed to fit the bill since he hangs out against the canal wall :blahblah

anyways, i fish the opposite style of seantrvs. i exclusively fish the pads and shorelines. i rig up either a weedless worm, or jerk bait and run them over/under the pads and through the grass. if i can find some clear spots with a topwater plug or a walk the dog style bait along the pad lines i will toss that out to mix it up. keep an eye out for schooling bass chasing down shad and minnows. it happens quick, they hit them and dive right back down.

as for the boat/jetski/boat tour traffic, yeah it can suck. i get out there early enough (6am) where i miss most off it. the tour boats don't start to run till 10am and they run in packs, anywhere from 1-4 boats (i think).

overall it's a hit and miss lake but i enjoy fishing it. if you want some more info on it pm me.
    rise and shine, it's fishing time!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,144 AG
    tankard wrote: »
    That's where I grew up too,
    I think the hydrilla is mostly gone, I could be wrong.

I lived off Lakemont and had a jon boat chained linked to a fence on Lake Osceola. We fished it and Maitland mainly. Sometimes Virginia when we knew the Sunshine bass had been stocked.
    Hydrilla pads are gone for sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield