Snake ID

ShineShine Posts: 804 Officer
Saw this snake in Jasper County SC. Looks black, but think it may be an Indigo. I think this is the place to find out.

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,388 Captain
    Looks a little skinny for a Indigo but who knows, I am not an expert. Indigos have a reddish color chin and Black racers have a whitish chin. Can't tell from the picture.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Looks like an indigo to me
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,385 Officer
    Looks like a dark color variant of a coachwhip snake to me.....but of course I can't be 100% sure.

Because I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

This is the reported range of the eastern indigo snake

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,137 AG
    Don't kill those black snakes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Judging from the head down posture of the one pictured.......he might be a little too late for saving.:grin

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,336 Admiral
    Walked up on a big Black Racer last week. He was tussling around in tall grass and as soon as he saw me he ran to me and flaired up way off the ground. I kept walking and he took off, went over to where he was and saw a 1 1/2 foot Copperhead all pissed off.
    He was gonna eat that Rattlesnake till I came along....
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,844 Captain
    Could it be a black rat snake? I told my father in law about trying to catch a foul tempered indigo snake in Arkansas. He like the above poster pointed out that the range of the Indigo Snake doesn't include Arkansas.

I haven't run into that many indigo snakes in their range but the few that I have don't seem to be foul tempered.
  • nativetroynativetroy Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Tail looks skinny for a black rat or Indigo, could be a black phase coachwhip or a large racer. Hard to tell from the angle.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 1,814 Captain
    All I know is Indigos are thick, thick, THICK and that one is skinny. Gotta be something else
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 2,004 Captain
    Black coachwhip.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,292 Admiral
    Black racer.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • ShineShine Posts: 804 Officer
    Got confirmation form one of Florida's leading snake experts at FSU: Black Racer. Apparently, Black racers, and other snakes can have color variations like this one. Its interesting, the corn snake that is loose in my garage today is very dark, looking almost black gray. I have not told my wife about this yet. Maybe he will help with all the bugs in there.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,844 Captain
    Shine wrote: »
    Got confirmation form one of Florida's leading snake experts at FSU: Black Racer. Apparently, Black racers, and other snakes can have color variations like this one. Its interesting, the corn snake that is loose in my garage today is very dark, looking almost black gray. I have not told my wife about this yet. Maybe he will help with all the bugs in there.

There is a gray rat snake that looks a lot like the red rat snake (corn snake). I find the gray rat snake in north Florida and Alabama.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Text book black racer.
    https://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/colcon.htm

If you have interest, a buddy of mine wrote a funny/interesting article on Indigo snakes for Garden & Gun. Padgett also wrote Edisto which is an awesome book about growing up hunting and fishing on an iconic southern island.

http://gardenandgun.com/feature/tangled-up-in-indigo/
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • marcograymarcogray Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Blk racer