Want to start hunting, how to start?

CaptHeavyCaptHeavy Posts: 717 Officer
When I was young we'd go "hunting" in Big Cypress. Mainly though, it was just a way for all the men in the family to go camping with guns and ATV's.

Now though, I'm 30, and want to start hunting for real. It's been a long time since I was in the woods but want to pick it up. I'm mostly interested in hogs and I live in South Miami Dade and would like to keep it within let's say 2-3hrs because I have very little time off from work.

How can I learn more? I've browsed the FWC website and found where you're allowed to hunt, but what can I expect? Are there a lot of hogs in the Everglades? Do most people walk and stalk? Sit in stands?

Obviously you've got to put your time in, but any kind of pointers would be great.

Also, is 300blk an acceptable round for hogs? What about 556/223?
Lady Mitchell, Haulover
600211_10200798788204965_398630343_n.jpg
www.CaptainHeavy.com
Instagram: @captheavy

Replies

• hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 404 Deckhand
    How can I learn more? I think there is a tab on new hunters in Florida. Find someone who already hunts out there and go with them.
    I've browsed the FWC website and found where you're allowed to hunt, but what can I expect? Bring water and a thermacell- heat and bugs.
    Are there a lot of hogs in the Everglades? No, populations have heavy swings. You can thank the panther savers for that.
    Do most people walk and stalk? Sit in stands? Depends on wma so both
    "He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,613 Captain
    The .300 Blackout is fine for hogs. Subsonic airgun rounds will crush a hog’s skull and can even grind thru the meat shield if the rounds are heavy enough. The .300 Blackout can do that and more.

5.56/.223 is find for brain shots. A little light for lung shots on larger hogs only because the entry hole won’t be big and will clot easy. I once saw a boar killed with a .204 on a lung shot. It knocked him down and eventually killed him but clotted and wouldn’t have left a blood trail.

Hog skulls can make bullets deflect. Your Blackout will be less likely to deflect than a .223 due to the subsonic speed. If you try a lung shot on a smaller hog with the .223, use heavy ammo and avoid ballistic tipped bullets. Ballistic tips usually make a bullet explode on impact. That’s fine with a heavy, large caliber bullet where it will penetrate into the lungs before exploding. But light .223 bullets have a tendency to explode immediately in the muscle. Appropriate for coyotes but not deer or hogs.
  • CaptHeavyCaptHeavy Posts: 717 Officer
    Good info guys, don't have any friends who hunt. I guess I could dig a little deeper. What areas in FL are there higher populations of hogs? I don't mind traveling if the odds aren't better.

Thanks again!
    Lady Mitchell, Haulover
    600211_10200798788204965_398630343_n.jpg
    www.CaptainHeavy.com
    Instagram: @captheavy