Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Light winds and big waves.

Look at this weeks marine forecast for Tuesday through Friday. I don't understand how 5 mph winds that seem to be switching during the day could create any sort of hazardous conditions. I get Maria is out there but we should be 1 to 2 foot seas with eight seconds. Is our conditions hazardous for a flats boat on Wednesday Thursday Friday for a dolphin run what do you guys think

Replies

• b1gdog83b1gdog83 Posts: 168 Deckhand
    Hurricane Maria is throwing off some swells from far away. Your only hazard will be clearing the inlet. Just have to time the long period swells. Once you are offshore there will be big swells with 13 seconds. The swells will be spaced out that it won't effect you.
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,842 Captain
    The swells were not bad Saturday.
  • baccaracbaccarac Posts: 84 Deckhand
    What I don't understand is if it's just big swells and flat as a board why is there a small craft advisory. Basically I'm going to have a 75-year-old sitting in front of me in my flats boat in 1200 feet on Wednesday Thursday and Friday what do you guys think.
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 559 Officer
    If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be out there in a flats boat. Just my opinion.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,378 Officer
    Years ago in 2005, me and a fishing buddy took his 20 ft boat out when a hurricane was hundred of miles away to the east of Elliot Key, but not headed for Florida. The swells were like 25 to 30 feet tall !! We could see a huge freighter heading against the Gulf Stream about a mile or two out from the reef. This huge ship was burying its bow completly into every swell, and this is how we measured the height of these swells, since they were as high as the freighter's wheel house. The swells were so far apart (three to four hundred yards) they did not effect our little boat what so ever, but it was very scary. In was so unnerving we soon went back inside the reef after landing a 6 lb triple tail we found on a board. The waves inside the reef were only 2 - 3 ft. or less. We did not see another boat out from the bay all day besides the freighter.
    Giimoozaabi
    I went out in a 15ft inflatable out of Boca. We went out 15 miles and it was flat with medium sized swells. You will be fine the wind is very light the next few days and if a 15ft inflatable can do it you can do it. Oh and by the way we caught a bunch of dolphin.
    As you can see a flat boat would have no problem
  • baccaracbaccarac Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Hey Chris I was out there three days ago I got a 15 pounder and a 12 pounder and an 8 pound triple tail I think I'm OK my only concern was that I'm having a very elderly person in my boat and my concern was that he would be uncomfortable. bozo