Sand Lake

Can anyone share some info on Sand Lake near Dr. Phillips In Orlando ? Thanks John.

Replies

• DaveScampilanoDaveScampilano Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    One of the best lakes in Central Florida imo. I haven't fished there in several years though. If you have a small boat/kayak, put in on the side of publix, cross little Sand Lake into Big Sand Lake. I've heard of a 14lber caught there when they knocked down the seawall. The canal near the westgate resort, people would troll shiners near the deep water and catch 10lbers, I have seen two of them. On an extremely windy day I caught an 8lber, missed two more about the same size, on the west side where it narrows into a smaller lake. As always those docks are amazing. I never even fished the southern end passed the westgate resort. If you can access it, don't pass that lake up!
  • Buckeye JohnBuckeye John Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Thank you for the GREAT INFO ! When I get to fish it I'll post on how we did !
    Do you have access to the lake other than what I mentioned? Check the lake on google maps. From about Sand Lake hospital, to just north of westgate resort, and west to the entrance of a smaller lake, there are good shallow areas with deep water close by. The water may be low this time of year, but there are also a good amount of underwater trees.
    Anyone have any info on a boat ramp on Sand Lake in Orlando ? Thanks John
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 752 Officer
    Hopefully this helps a little bit. Sorry for the crappy arrows. My father used to work at Lockheed Martin and, when he had to work weekends, would drop me off at this lake to fish while he was in the office.
    Thanks for Your Info . John
    John, there is a boat ramp off Bay Vista Estates Blvd, but it is a private ramp. I thought you said your son moved there. Shouldn't he have access to it?
    Dave, He does have access to the ramp. Problem is ramp was built with no drop on it . He,s tried several times to put our Bass boat in with no luck. Said he had truck backed in up to near his door and still can't get it off the trailer ! And the ramp is a 100 yards from his house !
    If you are on Sand Lake Rd, there is a ramp off the Esplanade, does your son have access to that ramp? I'm not sure if that is the same development. With the water levels pretty high you might be able to enter from Little Sand Lake.
    Dave, Thank You for that info ! I'll have my son check it out . I'm coming down in late September for a few weeks. I'd really like to fish Sand Lake if we can !
  • frogman1963frogman1963 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I use to fish big sand lake. My wife's brother turned me on to it years back, he used to be the camp ground manager when the was a KOA camp there. Used to love fish it, if you find out a way to fish her, please share with an old bass fishing fan (-:
    Frogman, I'm coming down to to visit my kids on the 15 th of Oct. I told my son were gonna get our bass boat on that lake even if I have to back the trailer in as high as my Truck doors . HA! HA! I will definitely let you know how it went ! Got any area's we should concentrate on ?I'm an Old Timer too ! Be glad to share info to with you. We normally fish the Butler chain and John's Lake.
  • frogman1963frogman1963 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Hey John, great to hear from you, contact me at [email protected]