Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Post Irma Snook and Haulover Redfish

Have fished the beach/haulover inlet 3-4 times since Irma after storm cleanup and all. The mullet are definitely here, fingers all over the intracoastal at least in the sunny isles area. They're getting chased by jacks in the 4-5 lb range which are always fun to mess with in the backyard before heading off to work.

The word on the block is that one big pod moved through the beaches a few days ago- of course one of the days I couldn't fish... I definitely can't verify this because all I've seen on the beach is dead sea fans and coral everywhere with a milky white ocean devoid of bait or any other signs of life.

Today, as I haplessly tossed my never fail beach jig at sunset, a cubano raking sandfleas for "palometas" proudly told me about the countless lobsters his friends took from the jetty after irma. I didn't even catch a jack.

Plan B was to net some finger mullet and take them to meet their maker at the jetty. I went to the haulover boat launch which was halfway underwater with the crazy tide. Found the mullet, along with thousands of mosquitos that were happy to feast on my entire body–never had this happen here. I'm talking flamingo style swamp angels.

After throwing the net, I noticed 2 carcasses floating by the cleaning table that looked pretty fresh. I knew one was a snook, and the other sure looked like a redfish. I thought I was going crazy so I decided to take a closer look. Lo and behold, it was 100% an upper slot-ish redfish carcass floating in front of my eyes in north Miami. Anybody know who caught this red? Reds in Haulover? Lobster all over the jetty rocks? What is going on here!?

Tight lines all, hope the bite has been better post storm for yall than it's been for me.

Replies

• jqmustangjqmustang Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    I haven't fished the beach slash Jetty since the late 90s, at the time I used to go once a week during the fall and winter. On more than one occasion I caught red fish along with black drum and very consistently caught snook and permit there. The best part was that during the winter the shrimp would run along the jetty so there was no need to even bring bait. You can catch pretty decent size shrimp and throw them right back out.
  • LurchyLurchy Posts: 413 Deckhand
    I saw an instagram post the other day with a red caught in that area. This time of year there are always a few caught in the south florida inlets. Jupiter sees quite a few.
  • BiminiBoundBiminiBound Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Ya I caught them last Saturday outside the inlet. Snook was 30 inches and red was 26. Look at my Instagram or Facebook Tell N Tails Charters.
  • LurchyLurchy Posts: 413 Deckhand
    Ya I caught them last Saturday outside the inlet. Snook was 30 inches and red was 26. Look at my Instagram or Facebook Tell N Tails Charters.

Thanx for the info. I enjoy your pix, you are really dialed in, keep up the good work.