Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Exocet ss

HambweldHambweld Posts: 218 Deckhand
I was at the black fly rendezvous the other weekend ago and tried out the new salt hd then the t&t Exocett SS. My god what a rod. This has me thinking, I'm in the market for a new 8 &10wt. Who out there has cast the Exocett ss, & what other rods would you call comparable to action and feel? I was making short cast of 30-40ft with the ss350 and with a single dblhaul, shot 75' out like child's play. Never had rods in that price range before (most $$ I own is a stcroix extreme), is there any other rods out there that performs and feels like the ss? Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replies

• Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,055 Officer
    Never thrown the T&T but my current favorite is the Scott Meridian 8wt 4-piece.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    I've been fly fishing since I was 11 years old, and have yet to find a rod that makes me a better caster. There are rods that I enjoy casting more than others, but my personal taste in fly rods is irrelevant. If you've cast the rod, and you like the rod, then there you go. You should trust your own opinion more than a bunch of strangers on the internet (that don't fish where you fish, or how you fish). T&T makes a fine rod, or at least they used to. The Solar was the last T&T I fished, and I think the company has changed hands again since that series was introduced.
  • mnigromnigro Posts: 73 Deckhand
    If you're going to drop that much coin on a rod, test the comparable models from the other big guys- salt (on sale), salt hd, meridian (awesome, btw), nrx, and the T&T again. Maybe toss in a few good mid-priced rods too. If you still love it, there you go. Maybe you'll find another favorite. I recently bought 2 new rods at full price and it stung... I usually buy high dollar rods only when they are on clearance. Few things **** me off more than seeing the rod I recently bought at full retail selling for 50% off months later.
  • HambweldHambweld Posts: 218 Deckhand
    Tried the salt hd and the Exocet ss side by side. T&T was the better rod by 50% with my casting stroke. It was pure pleasure to cast where the hd felt like work. I want to try the meridian.

I've been fly fishing since I was 11 years old, and have yet to find a rod that makes me a better caster. There are rods that I enjoy casting more than others, but my personal taste in fly rods is irrelevant. If you've cast the rod, and you like the rod, then there you go. You should trust your own opinion more than a bunch of strangers on the internet (that don't fish where you fish, or how you fish). T&T makes a fine rod, or at least they used to. The Solar was the last T&T I fished, and I think the company has changed hands again since that series was introduced.

That was kind of my purpose here. Not asking what is better, just honest opinions of what's comparable. Help me create a shortlist sort of. I don't have any shops close to me so it's a 3+ hour drive to try a rod out. I still have my cheaper rods and will continue to fish them, it was just dumbfounding how easy that t&t was to cast 70'.

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,675 Captain
    I've owned four T&T rods, ( all 8wts ) of which were bought used and mostly off ebay for excellent deals then resold for equal or more than I paid. Helix was smoooooth but took too many false casts for spooky flats fish. Horizon nice and faster, then an HII a bit more tip action for softer presentations. Currently I picked up the only red T&T ever made the TNT which is probably the fastest rod I've owned and is great for windy days here but not my favorite for most days.

Not having deep pockets I can't even entertain getting new top end rods even though the closest shop to me is 45 min. to try anything out.
    Maybe one day when the NRX and Meridians or the Exocet are old news I'll pick one up. Let us know what you get.
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,055 Officer
    I like my expensive toys as much as the next guy, but still find it hard to believe that you can buy (2) of the best 130lb Bent Butt Trolling Rods with AFTCO roller guides, machined aluminum reel seats & butts for less than one Scott Meridian, SAGE HD Salt or T&T Exocet Flyrod.

This chit is getting crazy.
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 737 Officer
    Before you make up your mind, cast the rods with the flies you use. Wet and dry. A small piece of yarn can make any rod feel like a hot rod.
    It would suck to spend the big bucks to find you cast the same, or not as good, or even just a little better to me would not be worth it.
    SUPER D wrote: »
    Before you make up your mind, cast the rods with the flies you use. Wet and dry. A small piece of yarn can make any rod feel like a hot rod.
    It would suck to spend the big bucks to find you cast the same, or not as good, or even just a little better to me would not be worth it.

Amen!!

• Capt.JSuLCapt.JSuL Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Take look at the new Helios 3... pretty awesome rod!
    Capt. Jason Sullivan
    www.RisingTideCharters.com
    (954)864-0592
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,675 Captain
    For practice casting I use old flies with the hook cut off at the bend and use a size appropriate for the rod. Piece of yarn is NOT a good sample to use.
    saltybum wrote: »
    For practice casting I use old flies with the hook cut off at the bend and use a size appropriate for the rod. Piece of yarn is NOT a good sample to use.

I have a practice fly I use. The remanence of a mustad 1/0 big game with chartreuse ep stacked and a small lead eye. Then a bunch of loon uv. Very easy to see and tough.

Took a road trip to black fly. Threw the 8wt Exocett 9', meridian, sage x, & method. The Scott was leading the race until I tied on a 10ft leader and a slider with med lead eyes. The Exocett never skipped a beat. The meridian had more tip movement sometimes causing a dip in the line. Guess it's the softer tip. My search has ended. I'm getting some Exocetts. If you haven't castes one and you're looking at a new rod, try it. You will be pleasantly surprised. Good short range accuracy and phenomenal feel, great long range punch with little effort.