Skip to main content
Home Boating

Relocating

Vinny lVinny l Posts: 389 Deckhand
edited June 3 in Boating #1
You guys were so helpful during my research period for a boat I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me some insight with the following? My wife and I are thinking about selling our Pompano condo and buying a home within a few minutes of either coast, preferably not to north of 75. We plan on moving down for retirement, spending the late fall through late spring between there and Long Island with our summers spent up here. I like the setup I now have with Hiddenharbor Marina in Pompano but I can't keep the boat on its trailer there when I come down to fish a week at a time and my condo complex prohibits trailers, boats etc... on the property. The Marina is a wonderful and safe place but I would prefer to be able travel at will with her and that becomes a problem with my condo. I have no place to park or clean her and the marina charges for a work rack which I don't mind paying for but there's nothing like having her on my own property.
Any suggestions on locations would be appreciated.

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Vinny l wrote: »
    You guys were so helpful during my research period for a boat I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind giving me some insight with the following? My wife and I are thinking about selling our Pompano condo and buying a home within a few minutes of either coast, preferably not to north of 75. We plan on moving down for retirement, spending the late fall through late spring between there and Long Island with our summers spent up here. I like the setup I now have with Hiddenharbor Marina in Pompano but I can't keep the boat on its trailer there when I come down to fish a week at a time and my condo complex prohibits trailers, boats etc... on the property. The Marina is a wonderful and safe place but I would prefer to be able travel at will with her and that becomes a problem with my condo. I have no place to park or clean her and the marina charges for a work rack which I don't mind paying for but there's nothing like having her on my own property.

In my opinion, the phrase is "No Association" Most if not all developments these days have "Associations" that do no allow for boats to be parked along side the house. The boats are either stored inside the garage or in a storage lot.

You are coming down during the time when it windiest here as we get our famous cold fronts. So there will be long periods when it's windy all the time. Which means you'll be forced to fish protected areas or stay home. Everglades National Park offers that. In addition, it's the best time to fish the park as there are no mosquitoes. Good Luck.. Pete
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 572 Officer

I live with HOA hell everyday.

If I was here only between late fall to late spring with your boat and wanting to stay south of Alligator Alley I would definitely be looking at the gulf coast around Naples. There are not that many days in the winter where you where you want to venture offshore in the winter on the east coast to make it worth it.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I totally agree with TX Wahoo. Naples/Marco Area. There are also some really cool little houses on an island in Everglades City. I think they have trailer parking on the mainland for your boat. Once you learn to navigate that area you really will not need to go other places to stay in fish year round.
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 389 Deckhand
    Thank you gentlemen, I knew I could count on your very sound advice.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,801 Captain
    North of 75? It runs north south except for alligator alley. Do you mean 95? With a flats boat and a relaxed environment I would lean somewhere on the southwest coast.
    North of 75? It runs north south except for alligator alley. Do you mean 95? With a flats boat and a relaxed environment I would lean somewhere on the southwest coast.

Yes, South of alligator alley. No more north then Fort Meyers, no further south then Everglades city I think. The Naples area looks nice.. if any of you know of or have family in real estate don't hesitate to forward me their contact info.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,801 Captain
    Yes, South of alligator alley. No more north then Fort Meyers, no further south then Everglades city I think. The Naples area looks nice.. if any of you know of or have family in real estate don't hesitate to forward me their contact info.

Gotcha, I screwed up and meant I-10 not 95. Aint much south of alligator alley and north of Everglades city other than Naples and Marco island on the west side. East side same latitude ain't worth it. Buck and go to the keys!
    Gotcha, I screwed up and meant I-10 not 95. Aint much south of alligator alley and north of Everglades city other than Naples and Marco island on the west side. East side same latitude ain't worth it. Buck and go to the keys!
    Keys would be nice but my wife doesn't like "one raid in and out" makes here nervous.
    I'll be down for Christmas break, if I can stay off the water a day or two maybe I'll look around the Naples area.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    May be able to find a place on a canal and keep the boat on a lift there. I really like that area.
    91tiger wrote: »
    May be able to find a place on a canal and keep the boat on a lift there. I really like that area.

Here's one to checkout in Port of the Island. http://portoftheislandsrealty.com/listings.html

They have a long no wake zone:

http://portoftheislandsrealty.com/listings/170_newport_1103.htm
    Here's one to checkout in Port of the Island. http://portoftheislandsrealty.com/listings.html

They have a long no wake zone:

http://portoftheislandsrealty.com/listings/170_newport_1103.htm

Thanks Pete.
    Looks like a loooooooong *** "no wake zone"
    That gives you time to rig rods on your way out. While you finish your breakfast!
    looks like a nice area, waiting for a call back then contact the wife of a forum member.