Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Yep...Red and Snook report...8/17

BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,761 Captain
Windsplitter (Duane) and I slipped out for a couple hours today to try to get some fishing in since he and I haven't fished together lately.

Rained a bit, was hot and muggy, managed to get back in before the sky opened up. We had three snook at the boat, lost a couple, missed a couple reds, put one "eater" in the boat for dinner. Fish were reluctant to bite, they would follow and hit but not take the lure, kind of frustrating but normal this time of the year. The water is still hot. Snook were all around 26 inches and the dinner red was 24 which is in our range for eating size.

Fish were in their usual spots, three feet or less water over bars, and all were taken on plastic or Redfish Magic lures. Nice couple hours getting back out with Duane as it's been awhile. We had the place to ourselves as usual. A few pictures to prove we caught fish...Duane was squatting down to hide where we were fishing :).

Bill
"And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Replies

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,952 Captain
    God job guys.:thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    It's good to see you both giving fishing lessons! :wink
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 968 Officer
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Nice guys.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,989 AG
    How was the tide Billy. Suppose to be a bit higher than normal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,761 Captain
    Flash wrote: »
    How was the tide Billy. Suppose to be a bit higher than normal.

It wasn't much higher than predicted but it kept coming in way past high tide.

Bill
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,284 Officer
    Nice short outing. It's been HOT and I'm not talking about fishing. A lot of mid slot and smaller Snook around, which is good to see. I've been having trouble finding any over 33", which is what I fish for. Hope they're spawning or something.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,761 Captain
    Nice short outing. It's been HOT and I'm not talking about fishing. A lot of mid slot and smaller Snook around, which is good to see. I've been having trouble finding any over 33", which is what I fish for. Hope they're spawning or something.

Seems like a bunch in our area fall into that just under the 28 inch slot. I've caught more snook in the last year than any period after the 2010 kill so I'm hoping it's a good sign.

The number of small snook caught, under 12 inches, has been encouraging too. I quit targeting them when you catch a small one because you can usually catch three or four in the same spot. No use sore mouthing the up and coming big'uns.

As to spawning I believe they are all done, as the season opens September first, one of the closed periods(May to September) is to allow spawning to happen.

Bill
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,765 Captain
    Snook spawning continues through at least mid September most years. I don't know where the spawning areas are around here, but my guess would be the cuts between the outside bars where there is a lot of current. There is probably too much boat activity for them to use the mouths of the Homosassa and Crystal rivers. That's why you don't get too many big ones in the back country during the summer. But not all fish spawn every year, so you might run into a few good ones back there.

We used to get big spawners in the North Pass off Anclote Key in mid September back in the day. You can tell the active spawners because their fins typically turn yellow. The one you're holding could be a spawned out male or small female. Some only spawn once, others up to 3 times before returning to the estuaries.
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 618 Officer
    We should be hitting the water at dawn this time of year. I'm sure we would catch more fish, and definitely be more comfortable.
    It was nice to get out with my good friend and catch a few though.
  • ranger75ranger75 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Good job on the fish in a tough bite!
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 697 Admin
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.