Gulfstar vs Hubbard's?

2»

Replies

  • bryguybryguy Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    harbison wrote: »
    :fishing Both are credits to our sport.


    That they are Bob. I did enjoy both trips, and honestly Hubbard does have its advantages. In marginal weather the Hubbard boat is going to be head and shoulders above the gulfstar in sheer fishing comfort. The hubbards boat is also a more all around comfortable boat to fish. If you were taking a female or kids I personally believe you would be better served by the hubbards fleet. I personally do not have anything at all against the Hubbard fleet, they run a great operation and are very professional as well. Honestly both are incredibly well run operations and the competition between the two is a blessing for all the anglers who fish either. Both trips were trips that I have always want to do and now I hAve and I am glad I did.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • okee74okee74 Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Good to hear you enjoyed your trip. We were on the Aug.7-9 trip. We did limit on Mangrove Snapper but probably caught twice as many Vermilion Snapper. think alot of them beat the mangroves to the hook. Also had 4 keeper Grouper plus released Amberjack and tons of the endangered Red Snapper including one over 20 lbs..Always enjoy our trips on the Gulfstar.
  • bryguybryguy Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    okee74 wrote: »
    Good to hear you enjoyed your trip. We were on the Aug.7-9 trip. We did limit on Mangrove Snapper but probably caught twice as many Vermilion Snapper. think alot of them beat the mangroves to the hook. Also had 4 keeper Grouper plus released Amberjack and tons of the endangered Red Snapper including one over 20 lbs..Always enjoy our trips on the Gulfstar.


    Well I managed to avoid the Beeliners this trip. I caught 3 mid sized AJs on live pins. And yes there were a ton of rd snapper caught. Those things were thick as hops on a couple of stops we made no keeper grouper for me, and I think there were maybe less then ten caught on the entire boat. I have already booked my next trip with them on October 13th for the limited load trip they have. Looking forward to it already


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,828 Captain
    :fishing Both boats, like everything in life, have good & not so good points. Up to the individual as to which is better. How fortunate we in Central Florida are to have such a choice.
  • JohnABJohnAB APOPKAPosts: 210 Deckhand
    I personally can't justify paying $200+ more for the limited load trip. It's just 5 fewer anglers and with the regular load 19 anglers it has never seemed crowded. Was a bit disappointed when they started that as it limited the times available for me to go with them. That's why I go with Hubbard's now and then. I am thinking about trying the Flying Hub II; anyone have any insight re these trips?
  • bryguybryguy Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    JohnAB wrote: »
    I personally can't justify paying $200+ more for the limited load trip. It's just 5 fewer anglers and with the regular load 19 anglers it has never seemed crowded. Was a bit disappointed when they started that as it limited the times available for me to go with them. That's why I go with Hubbard's now and then. I am thinking about trying the Flying Hub II; anyone have any insight re these trips?


    From what I heard the other day next year they may all be limited load trips. Seems to be the preference for lots of folks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • bryguybryguy Posts: 31 Greenhorn
    harbison wrote: »
    :fishing Both boats, like everything in life, have good & not so good points. Up to the individual as to which is better. How fortunate we in Central Florida are to have such a choice.


    Amen. If I were to take my son or a female, it would most definitely be with Hubbards. Just the sheer size of their boat offers advantages that the gulfstar will never have. And I can guarantee that in snotty marginal conditions Hubbards wins hands down. It's all a ford vs chevy thing, there really is no wrong answer at all.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,828 Captain
    :Agree Depends on what you are looking for. Both are really 'extreme' fishing machines; the best of the best!
    Will never forget when I snapped this picture:
    ROUGH_zps6d1f5c3c%20-%20Copy%202_zpsomng4pwf.jpg

    The 72' long, 25' wide Florida Fisherman ll took it in stride. Did not see a single person sea sick. In really rough water a catamaran is hard to beat.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,828 Captain
    This just in from the TEXAS NMFS GC MEETINGS:
    Think head/charter boats like the 49/3 day ARS season? Look at what Dylan Hubbard brought to the meeting:
    "we want an open access public fishery with plenty of opportunity to fish. This allocation based management is not good for anyone except the few and can be a very easily corrupted system."

    Both Hubbard's Marina, and the Gulfstar have been fighting for open access for years.

    Concerning Amberjack season: Amberjack 2018 season has been modified to be open July 1st until Dec 31st 2018

    With the extended rec ARS season the Department of Commerce put NOAA in its place. Looks like we are getting closer to:
    State Management of Recreational Red Snapper
    The Council reviewed a series of draft amendments that would enable the Gulf States to establish management programs for the recreational harvest of red snapper out to 200 nautical miles.
  • JohnABJohnAB APOPKAPosts: 210 Deckhand
    First trip I took on the Gulfstar they said seas were 5-6 ft..first time I've ever been seasick...I was able to fish only a few of the stops. Thankfully it was one of their 24hr trips they no longer do but still wouldn't want to do that again.
  • JohnABJohnAB APOPKAPosts: 210 Deckhand
    bryguy wrote: »
    From what I heard the other day next year they may all be limited load trips. Seems to be the preference for lots of folks.

    I just don't understand that..limited load = 14 anglers, regular load = 19 . Still plenty of room with 19 especially given that the majority are at the stern positions.
  • okee74okee74 Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Probably 15 keeper grouper on our trip. We always catch more grouper on the 12 and 16 hr. trips.But last year not as many keepers with the new size limit.I hope they have grown as my next trip is a 12 hr..
Sign In or Register to comment.