Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Saturday @ The Pass......Next weekend off

Launched Saturday @ 6:50 with 86 water temp.
Water was clear in most areas and very tannin stained in the Morgan River and Blind Pass.
Started with a top water and got a couple small jacks.
I did miss a nice snook that flared on the lure only to be gobbled by a 12" jack.
Caught a number of 8" Mango's on a white bucktail.
Got a 15" trout on the jig and released it.
On a shallow (18") flat, caught a 4-foot bonnet head shark.
Deciding to keep the Spro or 10 fingers, I cut the line and still have 10 digits.
Did manage a few larger jacks but no "glamour" fish.
The day was slow as there were minimal clouds, light winds and beating down sun.
Just could not find any trout (except 1) and no snook/reds.
So with that, I am taking next weekend (maybe 2) off for the fish to regroup.
But I will be back with a vengeance on Sept 1st for re-opening of snook season.

Sorry about the poor report. Thought I had this area "dialed in" but I will take days like this for the other great days I've had in the northern 10K island area.

Till next time, be safe, courteous and save some for me!
Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,240 Officer
    It is a good report just poor fishing results. As they say, that why it is called fishing. Thanks for your reports.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • nobleonenobleone Posts: 98 Deckhand
    Kid, we were out in your neck of the 10K yesterday and only managed one 16" trout. Wanted to fish grasses with top waters but too much wind. Headed quite a bit south and picked up a red on the outside then inside another red and a 22" snook. Was surprised at the fish we caught inside, didn't think there would be any. Lots of mullet back there. Back at the ramp by 1230.

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,423 Captain
    Don't get discouraged since "86 degree" water says it all... This is a great time of year for that last bit of time - just before the sun shows or just as it's going down. You might find some active fish then. On days when the wind is blowing and it's cloudy and rainy things will pick up a bit as well... and might just be "on" all day long if the cloud cover keeps the water temps down a bit....

On the other hand -this is a great time for the occasional night trip (think docklights where there's a bit of moving water and at least three feet of water in front of that dock with the light....for a start). The same places where you've been getting an occasional pass on your topwaters will definitely have fish near the bottom that are feeding hard at night - but you'll have to change your tactics a bit....

Hope this helps - most are a bit reluctant to be on the water at night so stick to the areas you know at first and be a bit cautious running around until you get a bit more comfortable with operating then... You'll find that you rarely see another boat in places where the fish are feeding hard....

If you have to fish in the daytime think of splitting your trip up a bit - being on the water well before sunup then leaving the water before 10 Am... find something else to do during the rest of the day and get back on the water for the last one or two hours just before sundown (if you can...).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Caxambas KidCaxambas Kid Posts: 222 Deckhand
    Bob,
    I agree with you on all points.
    My 'best fish" were those caught or "swing and miss" before 8am.
    Due to work and house chores, a night trip is really not plausible.
    I could launch out of Bayview for a "dark trip" but is a hindrance I'd rather not deal with.
    Boat/trailer washing and subsequent storage......
    I believe I could get some good fish in the Naples Bay lights and may try that some evening.
    My spots usually produce, but I have found (like you posted) 86 degrees did not help.
    I am still good to go knowing in 6 short weeks water temps will cool and fish movement will commence.
    I truly appreciate the tips and tricks.
    They are encouraging for sure!

The postings will continue, good, bad or indifferent!
    Polar 1900 Yamaha 115
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,474 Admiral
    Rock On...
    Sunday..back to Buttonwood and surrounds..
    2 small Snook and a 20 inch red. Fishing has dropped quite a bit.
    I'm thinking all the Fresh water flowing out thru my areas and water that's like a Bath.
    I've caught many a whopper Red and Snook 7 miles off the Coast in 20 ft. of water in years past.
    That's where the majority of your fish have gone now..Bait is all over the place and the Snook are spawning some still.
    Gonna Dead Stick it with Finger mullet in a good Flowage next weekend. No more Casting and Blasting. 3 or 4 hours on the Incoming near some Bars with deep water real close .
    Almost time for Hunting Season..:banana
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,629 Captain
    Its been brutal hot....We had a OK day on sunday.....Saw approx 50lb goliath grouper cruising the beach....Wanted no part of eating....Just slowly cruised about his merry way...
    Jason :USA
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 617 Officer
    Definitely in the summer doldrums. Fishing dropped off right around when that tropical storm blew through Tampa and hasn't rebounded since for some reason, been very tough fishing during the day.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Don't get discouraged since "86 degree" water says it all... This is a great time of year for that last bit of time - just before the sun shows or just as it's going down. You might find some active fish then. On days when the wind is blowing and it's cloudy and rainy things will pick up a bit as well... and might just be "on" all day long if the cloud cover keeps the water temps down a bit....

On the other hand -this is a great time for the occasional night trip (think docklights where there's a bit of moving water and at least three feet of water in front of that dock with the light....for a start). The same places where you've been getting an occasional pass on your topwaters will definitely have fish near the bottom that are feeding hard at night - but you'll have to change your tactics a bit....

Hope this helps - most are a bit reluctant to be on the water at night so stick to the areas you know at first and be a bit cautious running around until you get a bit more comfortable with operating then... You'll find that you rarely see another boat in places where the fish are feeding hard....

If you have to fish in the daytime think of splitting your trip up a bit - being on the water well before sunup then leaving the water before 10 Am... find something else to do during the rest of the day and get back on the water for the last one or two hours just before sundown (if you can...).

Excellent advice as usual.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
    1outlaw wrote: »
    Its been brutal hot....We had a OK day on sunday.....Saw approx 50lb goliath grouper cruising the beach....Wanted no part of eating....Just slowly cruised about his merry way...

I saw a Jewfish last weekend about 25 pounds cruising the top as well..
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,423 Captain
    There's so many jewfish around (goliath grouper for all you politically correct types...) that more than one "giant snook" hooked around a downed tree.... wasn't a snook at all. They're tough as an old leather boot, will hit bait, lure or fly and simply never give up when you hook even a small one.... I'm all primed to be standing up at one of those FWC workshops that are upcoming (In my area that will be the second week of October...).

The jewfish (and no matter what folks up north think... "jewfish" was never a slur - it was a corruption of the original "jawfish") is one of my all time favorites in the backcountry or any of the rivers that drain the Everglades. It would be nice if we could keep one fish per day per boat (and not the big breeders, ever again...) in the slot size that biologists would determine.... with no commercial take ever allowed again for them (they're just too fearless for their own good) - commercial divers almost wiped them out years ago and it would certainly happen again if they were ever offered for sale... Back then they only brought fifty cents a pound so a 100lb fish was worth fifty dollars on the dock. Divers were taking hundreds and hundred of pounds per day around markers and shallow wrecks... that's what lead to their current protected status... Nowadays if you want to tangle with one up really shallow (I've found them in less than two feet water hanging out with schooling redfish) or right down on the bottom in a lot of different rivers.... They're a real treat for anyone that's never tangled with one....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    I've tangled with a bunch of them.
    It's my Go To fish for out of town visitors..