Home General Fishing

ID these scums that dragged a shark behind their speeding boat

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,042 AG
    Binder wrote: »
    Is there a written rule on how fast or slow one must tow a shark backwards?

Just wondering for some friends.

Not written....

but if you want a decent go pro video ( and who doesn't nowadays :rotflmao ) .... you gotta get it up skiing across the top.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Not written....

but if you want a decent go pro video ( and who doesn't nowadays :rotflmao ) .... you gotta get it up skiing across the top.

Wishy-washy answer from some one with no strong opinions, probably no knowledge of the law either.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    I think its in really poor taste and extremely disrespectful. If I catch a legal size grouper in season, throw it on ice until its dead, and then tow it behind the boat like these idiots. Stupid yes, disrespectful yes, but would it also be illegal?
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    Apples and oranges. Drowning a shark by dragging it backwards at 3 knots is very different from skipping a shark through the wake at 30+ knots while cackling with glee. One is a practical way to safely dispatch a shark before bringing it into the boat, and the other is clear evidence of a sociopath lacking in any form of empathy.

Road dragging the shark is probably not even illegal, but the bigger picture that everyone is viscerally reacting to is the obvious pleasure the guy is deriving from the suffering of a helpless animal. It is a symptom of the sort of psychology found in serial killers and other sociopaths, as some have already pointed out. That's what we're all reacting to.

I wonder if the sharks drowned at 3 knots know how humanely they died compared to sharks dragged at 30 knots......
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,854 AG
    pottydoc wrote: »
    Really? Tell us how you are going to prove it.

The way most crimes get solved? You think pictures and videos shared on the internet don't leave a trail? Heck, even ones that aren't shared leave a trail with automatic backups and other means.

Captain Todd Approves

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 890 Officer
    rrbgtt wrote: »
    I wonder if the sharks drowned at 3 knots know how humanely they died compared to sharks dragged at 30 knots......

Try to use some basic reading comprehension skills here. The word humane was not in my post, so it's not clear what you are responding to. Also, read the second paragraph.
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    Try to use some basic reading comprehension skills here. The word humane was not in my post, so it's not clear what you are responding to. Also, read the second paragraph.

The result is the same in either situation; death for the shark.

The rest is all conjecture on your part.

What is the magic speed when "practically" killing a shark? 3 knots? Who figured that out?

If someone sheds a tear while "practically" killing a shark, does it make him a better person than the one smiling?

Are you more likely to become a sociopath by killing one shark at high speed or many sharks at 3 knots?

Things that make you go, "hmmmmm?"
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    rrbgtt wrote: »
    The result is the same in either situation; death for the shark.

The rest is all conjecture on your part.

What is the magic speed when "practically" killing a shark? 3 knots? Who figured that out?

If someone sheds a tear while "practically" killing a shark, does it make him a better person than the one smiling?

Are you more likely to become a sociopath by killing one shark at high speed or many sharks at 3 knots?

Things that make you go, "hmmmmm?"

For me it is a matter of intent, which is hard to quantify legally. If a person catches a keeper shark and legitimately is looking to eat/keep it... versus somebody catching a shark and wanting to beat the crap out of it for fun. Again, not sure how to quantify that legally, but I do believe there is a difference. Imagine person 'A' catching some trout, he/she ices them... person 'B' catches them and tosses them up on the bank and leaves them there for no apparent reason. Intent, while squishy terminology, is the defining element for me. In this particular case their intent was abundantly clear in my book. Nobody would beat/bruise something they were looking to take home for dinner, at least I can't think of a reason.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    T Top wrote: »
    Wishy-washy answer from some one with no strong opinions, probably no knowledge of the law either.

A fair and non biased assumption..... :rotflmao

Relatively correct also..... :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    I see people unhook catfish...then leave them out on docks and piers to die...a horrible death from asphyxiation.... We need to get a law to cover this tragedy also.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,662 Admiral
    I see people unhook catfish...then leave them out on docks and piers to die...a horrible death from asphyxiation.... We need to get a law to cover this tragedy also.

I'm not much for needing laws. I personally believe if people would act responsibly we could take a great many laws off the books. A few people ruin it for everybody continues to be true.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton

There are no wanton waste laws in Florida?

Captain Todd Approves

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    This thread needs a safe space

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,252 AG
    Imagine if it had been a red snapper or a black bear!!!!!!

c4IOOS6.png
    Warning Level 2
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,743 AG
    I use redfish and trout for crabbait, they're mine so I can do with them what I want..

Asshats broke no laws dragging the shark, I have drug sharks (not that fast) to kill them before hauling them in.
    Same thing happens to swords and tunas at times...

last thing we need is more laws to restrict us (specially based on emotion)
    The bashing of FWC is wrong, the are working within the laws within the Fl statues.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,523 Captain
    mplspug wrote: »
    The way most crimes get solved? You think pictures and videos shared on the internet don't leave a trail? Heck, even ones that aren't shared leave a trail with automatic backups and other means.

Even upload times are not necessarily going to prove when the act occurred, and definitely won't prove where the act occurred. Nor what the entire context was. There MIGHT be a GPS stamp somewhere that dates back to when the video was made. Yet again, if the shark was already dead, there's no cruelty. The video doesn't on its face prove whether the shark was alive or not while the dragging was happening.

Someone MUST talk and being willing to testify all the way thru a trial without backing out for there to be a case. I'm sure the FWC has or still is looking into it. But if everyone involved clams up, there isn't much for it. Not all otherwise legitimate cases are provable (and I offer no commentary whether this would otherwise be a legitimate crime or not based on the video alone. I would say that I would NOT file charges based on the video alone for proof reasons).
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,230 Captain

There are guys who go out hunting each day, legally, and then these jerks try to restrict the days and times that they can hunt. Inconceivable!!!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    H20dad wrote: »
    There are guys who go out hunting each day, legally, and then these jerks try to restrict the days and times that they can hunt. Inconceivable!!!
    Lol when does the season start. You never followed up with any information????

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  • snipes27snipes27 Posts: 105 Deckhand
    Got this from the Save the Tarpon Facebook page:

UPDATED: According to The Anna Maria Islander (8/8/17), Assistant State Attorney Andrew Van Sickle confirms his office is pursuing the case. "The more we dig, it seems like the more crimes — at least fishing violations — we uncover,” he told the newspaper. Van Sickle said a decision to proceed is expected to be made by the Office of State Attorney for the 12th Judicial Circuit in mid-August. The newspaper quoted Van Sickle as saying the investigation is comparable to "pulling a thread" that keeps unraveling. We will keep you posted as this develops.

the rest of the article can be found here:
    https://www.islander.org/2017/08/shark-drag-investigation-uncovers-other-violations/
    H20dad wrote: »

Yeah....You should definitely get involved in that...

You need a cell phone number.... :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Lawyered up....

A spokesperson for the men, Jon Weiffenbach Jr. of Weiffenbach & Reinhart, a law firm in Bradenton, said to be a friend of the families, did not respond to July 28 and Aug. 5 emails asking for comment on the investigation or whether any of the men have issued an apology.

A Mom as a county commissioner
    A Dad as a county planner
    A Dad as a lawyer
    I almost feel bad for the one kid...Dad is a failed developer... He may be a sacrificial lamb :grin

Wrist slap...inbound....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    kellercl wrote: »
    I'm not much for needing laws. I personally believe if people would act responsibly we could take a great many laws off the books. A few people ruin it for everybody continues to be true.

Catfish lives matter! :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Even upload times are not necessarily going to prove when the act occurred, and definitely won't prove where the act occurred. Nor what the entire context was. There MIGHT be a GPS stamp somewhere that dates back to when the video was made. Yet again, if the shark was already dead, there's no cruelty. The video doesn't on its face prove whether the shark was alive or not while the dragging was happening.

Someone MUST talk and being willing to testify all the way thru a trial without backing out for there to be a case. I'm sure the FWC has or still is looking into it. But if everyone involved clams up, there isn't much for it. Not all otherwise legitimate cases are provable (and I offer no commentary whether this would otherwise be a legitimate crime or not based on the video alone. I would say that I would NOT file charges based on the video alone for proof reasons).

I agree on all point. To paragraph one I would say that when I am talking about this case, I am not just talking about the shark dragging, I am talking about all of his and the others posts. If it was just an isolated incident it would be extremely difficult to try them for anything. The cynical side of me says not much will happen.

I wish there was an **** law. Then these a-holes would be in real trouble. Unfortunately there is no law for a-holes.

Captain Todd Approves

• snipes27snipes27 Posts: 105 Deckhand
    mplspug wrote: »
    I agree on all point. To paragraph one I would say that when I am talking about this case, I am not just talking about the shark dragging, I am talking about all of his and the others posts. If it was just an isolated incident it would be extremely difficult to try them for anything. The cynical side of me says not much will happen.

I wish there was an **** law. Then these a-holes would be in real trouble. Unfortunately there is no law for a-holes.

yeah but putting the shark dragging aside, have you seen the other photographic and video evidence of multiple issues with protected species, tarpon, goliath grouper, white pelicans, etc...? there is more to the case then just the shark dragging video as they are slowing finding... Not mentioning the catching of a juvenile bull shark, and putting it into their pool... which if i believe is at the home of the kid that is on the MTV Siesta Key show...
  • bordeauxbordeaux Posts: 120 Deckhand
    I must admit based on some of the responses on this thread it would certainly explain why I see 8 out of 10 boaters on plane in clearly marked slow speed/minimum wake only areas of the flats in Tampa Bay.

They just don't care
    2019 Beavertail Skiff Vengeance
    snipes27 wrote: »
    yeah but putting the shark dragging aside, have you seen the other photographic and video evidence of multiple issues with protected species, tarpon, goliath grouper, white pelicans, etc...? there is more to the case then just the shark dragging video as they are slowing finding... Not mentioning the catching of a juvenile bull shark, and putting it into their pool... which if i believe is at the home of the kid that is on the MTV Siesta Key show...

Yeah, I saw most of them before they were removed from various sources. If it was just the shark video I could give them the benefit of the doubt, but that was just the tip of the iceberg.
    bordeaux wrote: »
    I must admit based on some of the responses on this thread it would certainly explain why I see 8 out of 10 boaters on plane in clearly marked slow speed/minimum wake only areas of the flats in Tampa Bay.

They just don't care

It's really just 2 out of 10, but those 2 make it seem like 8.

Captain Todd Approves

• RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 725 Officer
    bordeaux wrote: »
    They just don't care

:Agree No enforcement in these areas also promotes the "not caring" thing unfortunately.
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke - Skini Rennie
  • bordeauxbordeaux Posts: 120 Deckhand
    Ironically Bob just 2 weeks ago I was in the Cockroach/Little Harbor area and was getting blasted by bay boats, pontoon boats and jet skis all in a slow speed minimum wake area, it got so bad I decided to leave the area I had not been 100 yards in the resume normal speed area when I was pulled over for a life jacket check by FWC. Then Later that day on my way to the ramp I was pulled over again for another life jacket check and asked to lift all hatch doors to examine my catch

FWC are there but apparently not looking for speed violations
    2019 Beavertail Skiff Vengeance
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,743 AG
    you look guilty.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I bet one of those boaters narced on you to FWC... " Man, that guy over there was doing all kinds of stuff...I think he was petting a manatee too! " :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled