Don't be a googan... still went 4/4 on tarpon this AM

I'm not a water cop. I don't want to be a water cop. The last thing I want to do when I'm trying to relax is argue with people who just don't have a clue. They're not bad people... they just don't know any better... because they're dumb. So look... if you see a guy all by himself fishing don't drive by, grind it into reverse when you see he's on some tarpon, drive up right through the path the fish are rolling, all within a half a cast from the guy. That's just dumb. I know your new 4 stroke yamaha 90 sounds pretty silent but underwater it's just as loud as any 2 stroke, and it shuts down the fish. There's a reason I'm using a trolling motor. Try to keep 2 cast lengths in your head... it's easy... if you can cast directly at another boat and they can hit your lure with their furthest cast... you're too close. Have some courtesy and you won't be surprised when you get yelled at, mean mugged, or otherwise out on the water.

Now... onto the fishing.
No lures were working today. No mullet. It was all about the little pinfish for some reason. Good news is they all made it to the boat. All juvis. I've ran the beaches 4x in the past week without so much as seeing an adult tarpon. Maybe they're back in the passes now but last weekend they were long gone... supposedly 12 miles offshore. Too far for me.

Anyway... be courteous on the water and have fun!

-Mag

9626C599-F1B4-40BC-9622-BD1D34766EA0_zpskz5ofszb.jpg
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,899 AG
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. It was an incident just like that which led me to join this forum many moons ago. That guy, however, knew better.

As for the tarpon, they can't even get away any more when they try to get away. That's going to be a problem, IMO.

Thankfully the tarpon cooperated, which makes it a bit easier to take.
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    Now... onto the fishing.
    No lures were working today. No mullet. It was all about the little pinfish for some reason. Good news is they all made it to the boat. All juvis. I've ran the beaches 4x in the past week without so much as seeing an adult tarpon. Maybe they're back in the passes now but last weekend they were long gone... supposedly 12 miles offshore. Too far for me.

Anyway... be courteous on the water and have fun!

-Mag[/QUOTE]

I agree, haven't seen a pod of mature fish in the last 2 weeks, a few free jumpers here and there. It seems every year around the 1st or second week of July they head out, then after spawning around mid August- Sept. they are back ready to eat!
    I'm sure I'm not telling something you don't already know.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,899 AG
    They don't leave for that long -- a week to 10 days max.
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    Tarponator wrote: »
    They don't leave for that long -- a week to 10 days max.

I'm sure your correct I'm just a "amateur" around here we do the majority of our tarpon fishing down out of our Big Pine Key home. In my experience they really start to eat again around the first few weeks of August. I very rarely venture into B.G. pass these days, in the last 10-15 yrs it's gotten out of hand, like a big bumper boat pool ...lol.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,191 Captain
    I ran up and down the beaches out of stump pass this AM for a few hours and didn't see a single one. There were football fields of bait right out of the pass with mackerel and sharks all on them, but not a single tarpon. I'm going back to the backwaters for awhile... you guys can have the beaches and the passes. :willynilly
  • voltmanvoltman Posts: 131 Deckhand
    lol,,thats how they get degooganized , only to make room for the next batch of googans,,its a never ending cycle.
  • Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 139 Deckhand
    Never heard the term Googan before? I'm assuming someone obnoxious by reading thread.... I fish mainly offshore and run out of Gasparilla, staying far away from BGP at all costs. Fishing there doesn't seem like it would be fun at all. It's a shame it has gotten such a bad rap over the past couple years....
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    I think 90% of people out there are googans. They also fish by the "bent rod pattern". Had a pontoon boat Monday pull with in casting distant anchor with in 15 minutes pull anchor and leave.
  • snipes27snipes27 Posts: 101 Deckhand
    I am not sure what is worse... Googans who boat up within casting distance of boats... or Googans that come flying in and get within a half cast of me while wading after they see me catch a snook and make a u-turn come get up and fish next to me... Happened twice within two hours this weekend...
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,235 Captain
    I don't want to imply location isn't important, but (IMHO) it isn't remotely as important as tackle/technique. There is no magic fishing hole where fish just jump onto the line regardless of what is being tossed. I don't know why people put so much faith into that magic spot. Fish move and fish are everywhere. Learn to fish folks. I personally love (perhaps I am a bad person) pulling up into a spot, having somebody tell me it is dead, hit into keepers and stock the cooler. Magic spots don't exist.
    Tarpon fishing is different typically and although I agree with some of what you said it's still rude what the guy did.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,235 Captain
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Tarpon fishing is different typically and although I agree with some of what you said it's still rude what the guy did.

I think what they did to you is beyond rude. My comments were 100% directed at them, not you. You were there first, scouted a good area and was geared up to fish. Nobody should have moved on your area like that. They absolutely should have found their own spot to fish instead of essentially stealing yours. Like others I have my favorite spots, but if somebody beats me to it, I move down the line and out of the way. I think my point more than anything is those who only have a single spot that they can fish are Googans. When I hit the water I have more spots than I can hit in a single day. Just Monday I watched the Googan's tarpon video, I found them to be a bunch of..... those morons were riding up on everybody who were hooked up on a tarpon, even to the point where they would get hooked up and their tarpon tangled with those who were already hooked up. Ridiculous. They flat out were costing people catches. I just don't fish that way. Back in March I was heading under the El Jo bridge and a pier fisherman was hooked up and his fish was in the pass. I parked my boat and waited for him to land it. Technically he was in my way, but it is called being polite. My apologies if my comments appeared to be directed towards you, they most certainly weren't intended that way.

On a side note I was hitting an area near the pass by Cayo last week, I don't tarpon fish, but man it was tempting to try it. There was a tarpon feeding that was at least 100 lb, it was a sight. But given I had medium gear that wasn't going to happen. On a happy note mangrove and trout were hitting well.

Edit
    I wanted to add I personally can't stand when people act foolishly on the water, because the more people who act like morons the more likely it is the FWC will impose more regulations. I don't want more regulations, so folks be smart when you are out on the water.
    10-4... I misunderstood what you were saying.
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 689 Admin
    Great report! Add photos next time to qualify for our reports contest. For more info check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.
  • DemarzacDemarzac Posts: 204 Officer
    FS Shelby wrote: »
    Great report! Add photos next time to qualify for our reports contest. For more info check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.

September 31st? :huh
    "If you want to play an up-tempo, fast-skating game, we can play that game. If you want to muck and grind in the corners and along the boards, we can play that game too."-Famous Coach
  • voltmanvoltman Posts: 131 Deckhand
    If you spot a Googan you should observe from a distance, as they are likely failing to do anything that resembles fishing or boating .
    Do not engage them.
    FS Shelby wrote: »

9626C599-F1B4-40BC-9622-BD1D34766EA0_zpskz5ofszb.jpg
  • mlangemlange Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    Hey Keith.
    Ever had another guide do that to you when even his clients are rollling their eyes? They live here too!