Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Key Largo advice....

God I hate doing this but you guys know best. I am from Sarasota but have lived in Columbus, OH the last few years but still make it down to the Keys every year. This year we are staying at Playa Largo (cuz its free) and renting a 21' CC. It's a little later than I am usually down there and I have been watching the offshore reports of Mahi so I know I just need to hit the weedlines.

My real question is inshore, as a backup and for weather and the evenings I would like to put my 15 yr old son and my cousin (from Michigan :huh) on some Reds, Snook or Tarpon but the inshore areas are vast. I am thinking fish any of the creeks or cuts on a moving tide? We get there Tues. Aug. 8, the day after the full moon so my hopes aren't real high unless we get out at night.

Any local advice? Inshore or off will be greatly appreciated.

BTW... I have been a member since 2000 and use to be very active.
Member since 2001 but this **** format makes me look like a newb.:huh

Replies

• keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    A 21' CC would be little dicey in the back country if you don't know your way around. I have caught Snook off the pilings of the Jew Fish Creek bridge. and I have seen them stack up in the main Chanel for Penny camp but couldn't get them to eat. The trout creek area in ENP is real good for Snook and some times there are reds and trout in the creek. I have also found Snook on the west side of the strand of mangroves that divide black water sound from everglades national park. you can head west at marker 53 and work the strand north or come in through the bogies work the two creek areas and then you can work the strand south. patches are always a good option when off shore isn't doable for what ever reason. good luck tight lines
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • Dog GuideDog Guide Posts: 199 Deckhand
    Thank you KeyLargo359. This is what makes this forum great. Looking at the tides this week its looking like low tides are right at prime fishing times (6ish am & pm). Was hoping to do some backcountry in the morning and evenings and offshore trolling in the heat of the day but we will see.

Only getting down there once a year now eliminates my shallow water expertise that I used to have but am happy to get out and wade up to some shorelines. Snook around pilings = heartbreak if I remember correctly :cool
    Member since 2001 but this **** format makes me look like a newb.:huh
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,159 Officer
    U r pretty far s in largo
    Look at the charts
    Not sure how far out to sprigger
    Trout macs and snapper on the white patches
    Don't even have to go that far