Home Conservation Forums

Salt water demarcation

SeasideSeaside Posts: 1 Greenhorn
At what point do the waters flowing into Indian River become salt. I fish with an out of state salt water license and need to know where fresh water begins

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    What are you fishing for?
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,576 Captain
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    What are you fishing for?

If you get stopped you have to say you are fishing for snook. redfish, jacks, etc.
    Giimoozaabi
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,007 Admiral
    Just don't keep any fresh water fish like bass or bream.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,660 Captain
    You need an In-State license if a resident or Non-resident license if you don't live here. I believe the only exceptions are relative to active military stationed here.
  • Rookie77Rookie77 Posts: 120 Deckhand
    As others have alluded to, what license you need (fresh or salt) is dependent on what you are fishing for, not where you are located. Now if you said you were fishing for snook in a landlocked lake with a freshwater license, that may not fly :) Of course there are areas where snook, reds, bass, etc. all occupy the same areas and chase similar baits. If you have a SW license and throwing baits that bass and snook would both hit, you are good as long as you don't say you are fishing for bass or keep any bass or other freshwater species. If you happen to catch a bass, you can't control that, just release it. Usually this is fairly straight forward but sometimes it gets strange. For example, if you are fishing for American Shad (sw species) in the upper St. Johns river 250 miles from the Atlantic, you need a saltwater license.