Trailer Side Light Recommendation Please

John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 201 Deckhand
I'm tired of replacing the amber side maker lights on my trailer. Can anyone point me to a brand that they like and lasts?
Thanks,
John

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 420 Deckhand
    John,as long as those lights go into the saltwater you will have the problem.So why
    not get rid of them and put the lights on poles so they are always out of the water?
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 161 Deckhand
    Amber side markers on poles?

I don't have any recommendations, but the key is to get lights that have a dedicated ground wire and run it to the vehicle ground.
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 738 Officer
    Find sealed and potted LED lights. If it has a stud motor mount for the ground, run a ground wire anyway. Submersible is not the same as waterproof. Get waterproof. Buying the right lights and installing them correctly makes all of the difference in the world.
  • fishfullthinkingfishfullthinking Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    These are the best lights. They cost more but you get what you pay for.

http://www.drylaunch.com/
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 199 Deckhand
    I moved my side markers forward enough so that they don't get wet. I replaced the spot that had the holes in my trailer with a reflector. I now have a side marker that lights up and a reflector.
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,887 Admiral
    Use totally sealed led side marker lights and butt connectors with heat shrink and silicone inside and you will not have a problem for quite some time.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• rehartlinerehartline Posts: 738 Officer
    I believe that dry launch uses an incandescent bulb and an air pocket to protect it. Mine lasted about two years, if that. Not worth a hoot if the air leaks out when they are submerged or it doesn't pick up an air pocket when you submerge them.