Home General Fishing

topwater tarpon

seadog517seadog517 Posts: 197 Deckhand
Whats a good topwater plug for tarpon. I will be trying for snook and tarpon in a few days with the full moon starting. Going to be fishing in tanic colored waters. thanks

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 669 Officer
    For snook and tarpon,before 8:30am in our area,I use two topwater;Zara Spook medium and a flat
    faced topwater from BPS for $2.29.
    Why 8:30 because as the sun starts to rise fish go deeper,so that's why I want to be on the
    area I want to fish a 1/2 hr.before sunrise.
    Second,replace all your treble hooks with extra strong from Owner.I use the Spooks when
    it is dead calm,the other option when a bit of wind.14lb braid with 25-40lb.leader is my setup.
    Have fun,because nothing stops my heart faster than a trophy snook or tarpon slamming
    into a topwater.
    One other point carry an asst.of topwater such as bone,red/white,mullet depending
    on light and water conditions.
  • DittonDitton Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Spook jr in red/white or mullet pattern are my go to's. Def replace hooks as 10kman said. Don't expect to land many tarpon on topwater though!
  • Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 473 Deckhand
    Had 2 on last week, Red/White Chug Bug 4". None made it to the boat, the trebles just can't stick in that bony mouth. 3 or 4 jumps and it is game over. I replace the factory hooks with Gamaktsu Treble S. Still no sticky!!!!
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Tarpon are hard enough to catch as it is... throw in treble hooks and your chances just got cut in half again.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • j102j102 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    How about replacing the treble hooks with inline hooks?
    Something like these.

820f099c66c5d45dd7abd66558a4b70a.jpg
  • DrCokeDrCoke Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Replaced most of my triple hooks with VMC single hooks. Initial hookup might drop but once hooked it's solid.
  • DittonDitton Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    DrCoke wrote: »
    Replaced most of my triple hooks with VMC single hooks. Initial hookup might drop but once hooked it's solid.

This. Also jerk baits with only a j hook through them. Really the less weight the better. I'm a big fan of DOA terror eyez for both species as well. Good luck
  • j102j102 Posts: 52 Deckhand
    DrCoke wrote: »

You are right about that, but it is still worth it. Treble hooks are a pain.
  • seadog517seadog517 Posts: 197 Deckhand
    thanks for help, I will remove the trebles and put on single hooks. Had a tarpon on chug bug yesterday . when he jump he broke the line . then he jumped again and threw the chug bug out. That was nice of him to give me my lure back.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    Try a subsurface swim bait. I think you'll find you hook and land more fish, and you'll still be able to see the strike.

That said, there's something about a tarpon hitting a topwater on the surface...