Home General Fishing

Towing question

Gregory SGregory S Posts: 17 Greenhorn
I'm in the process of buying a 22 ft cape horn. The boat is 9ft 1in wide. Apparently anything towed that is over 8.5 ft needs a permit on the highway. Is anyone familiar with this.? I never imagined needing a permit to pull a 22 ft boat. Thanks

Replies

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    If your towing in Florida don't worry about it as long as the entire rig is less than 40 ' long.
    And if your towing during daylight hours no problem.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 323 Deckhand
    It's required on state roads for oversized/overweight. It's a FDOT Blanket Permit. Anything over 8'6". Call the state for a correct answer. Most people get away with it except in the Keys where it's enforced more.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 323 Deckhand
    mustang190 wrote: »
    If your towing in Florida don't worry about it as long as the entire rig is less than 40 ' long.
    And if your towing during daylight hours no problem.

I have never seen the part about 40' anywhere. Also I am told that boat dealers towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs need. CDL which did not apply to me as a recreational owner/boater. I was told this while being weighed and checked for my permit.
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 224 Deckhand
    I've never heard anything about 40' overall either, but just about any truck, trailer, 22' boat and motor are going to exceed that.

I'm not saying to break the law, but most people don't have issues except in Monroe County.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    As long as your towing your boat and your not for hire they don't usually bother you. And yor rig is under 10,000 lbs.