vacation in Marathon key what canIcatch in the local water

Looking for advise. My family rented a house on canal. I can see fish and crabs swimming around. I have access to spinning gear and brought some gear from up north. We are from NJ and know basics. but some local tips would be awesome.

Looking for something to pull on line and for kids to catch?

Replies

• coderun1018coderun1018 Posts: 37 Deckhand
    I'm no pro down there but any fish in your canal in would use shrimp and 10lb test floro leader or they'll see the line
  • OakviewOakview Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    If you have a boat, the best way to bend a rod for the kids is to head to the reef and throw out a chum bag. Use 12lb fluorocarbon leader for the yellow tails and 15-20lb for Mangroves. Shallower water, more YT, but smaller. The deeper you go the bigger the fish, but less action. Light jig heads for the YT with a small piece of cut bait like squid and drift them back into the chum slick with the current, bail open until the fish hit. Larger jig heads for the mangroves, similar technique as for the YT. Go to Big Time tackle shop and they will set you up with what you need.

If no boat, chum bag in the canal and see what shows up. Just finished a month in Marathon and had several tarpon hook ups from the dock while cleaning the days catch. They can't resist a Mahi or mangrove skin on a big circle hook, no weight needed, just let it drift down.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
  • woodytoowoodytoo Posts: 296 Deckhand
    Agree - live shrimp, light line, small hook. Pretty
    Much guarantee line getting pulled.
    Bo G.
    Woody Too, Parker 2520XL
    Lil Woody, Carolina Skiff JVX16
    St Pete and Big Pine Key, Fl
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 576 Officer
    Buy a box of chum and a bag. # 2 hook and 15 lb leader with shrimp have fun
  • B2TBB2TB Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    If you don't get any action in the canal, try any of the bridges using the bait/gear previously mentioned.
  • GratefulEdGratefulEd Posts: 316 Deckhand
    Hooking a tarpon in a canal with boats moored isn't a great idea. You wouldn't want one to land in YOUR boat.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,702 Captain
    tarppon at nite on ded bait on bottom
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]