Mixing ethanol gas with non ethanol gas ?

larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,511 Moderator
A service station near me now is selling non ethanol gas, up till now i have been using the 10 percent mix. With Star Tron added each time. I mentioned to one of the crew i take out on regular basis, i was going start adding non ethanol fuel to my tank which is 82 gallons, at around a 50 percent mix on each fill up and still add Star Tron. He gets all bent out of shape saying he read a report it will start to jell the gas.
I said it doesn,t make any sense. Your the man that should know.
larrywitt

Replies

• Gary SGary S Posts: 719 Officer
    You going to save maybe $40.00. And your fishing with others that I am guessing are splitting cost? I personally don't want any of that garbage in any of my boats.
  • BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 508 Officer
    Larry, as you know, E10 is 10% ethanol (alcohol) and 90% gas. Adding 100% gas to E10 will not result in gelling.
    You'll be diluting the E10 down to E5-4-3 or somewhere in there. Zero ill effects.

While we can get Rec 90 at some marinas, we have been running E10 in our cars, trucks, bikes, lawn equipment, boats, etc for more than 10 years now - it's not a big deal. Just use the fuel as soon as you can, choose a top tier fuel provider and if you choose to do so, use a product that will help improve overall fuel quality and engine/fuel system cleanliness/reliability.
    FWIW, I have mixed Rec 90 (ethanol-free gas) in my Harley's gas tank. A few months ago when we were riding on the west side of the Tamiami Trail area where Rec 90 is easy to find, I topped off a half-full tank (E10) with Rec 90. Zero issues, gelling or any problems. I run e10 in the bike 99.999% of the time as well as a sportscar with a crazy-complex engine. As long as I practice proper fuel management, no problems.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,511 Moderator
    Thanks for clarification . You confirmed what thought. StarTron has been my go too product.
    larrywitt
    Glad we could be of help. It is a complex and often confusing topic. E10 is not a problem as long as you practice proper fuel management (choose a top tier fuel, use it as quickly as possible, stabilize when needed, top off to prevent condensation, etc). We have been running ethanol-blended fuel for 11+ years in all of our gas-powered equipment.