new cobia size limit

RandemgunRandemgun Posts: 22 Greenhorn
Ok with the new proposed size of 38 inches in Florida waters, does that mean any fishing guide must have some federal license or permit to keep one 33 inches in federal waters. What license or permits would that be and how would one get one.

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    If your landing Cobia in Florida they would have to be 38 inches if the limit is upped. Possession of a 33 inch Cobia would be illegal on Florida waters. No such license would allow the harvest of a smaller Cobia.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,648 Moderator
    Westwall01

If I catch a 33" cobia in Federal water, which is the legal limit for Federal water, and proceed directly from Federal Water to the dock without stopping, to land the fish. what would the violation be. There are several differences between State and Federal regulations for different species and I believe that one can travel over State water, without stopping, to land fish caught in Federal water. Mangrove Snapper comes to mind. You are allowed 10 mangroves in Federal water but only 5 in State water, but one is allowed to proceed without stopping from Federal water to the dock to land all 10
  • notreelynotreely Posts: 653 Officer
    Randemgun wrote: »
    Ok with the new proposed size of 38 inches in Florida waters, does that mean any fishing guide must have some federal license or permit to keep one 33 inches in federal waters. What license or permits would that be and how would one get one.

Yes you are correct. If you are a for hire vessel ( A guide ) and on a trip with paying customers you can not fish for or harvest Cobia of any size from federal waters. You would have to be issued a GULF CHARTER/HEADBOAT FOR COASTAL MIGRATORY PELAGIC FISH (CHG). The gulf CMP permit is a limited entry permit and would have to purchased from another vessel at market price.
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    Another proposal to punish the average fisherman, and support the commercial fishing establishment.
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 602 Officer
    So let me get this right.
    A guide with the proper permit can take 33 " cobia from federal waters (where they are usually larger then inshore) legally? WHY? who is getting payed off to push that decision through? I am really getting disappointed in all these bad decisions recently.
  • RandemgunRandemgun Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    A guide with the proper permit can take 33 " cobia from federal waters (where they are usually larger then inshore) legally? WHY? who is getting payed off to push that decision through? I am really getting disappointed in all these bad decisions recently.

Everyone who supports leaving it at 33 in state waters should go to the fwc website and send a message to all the commissioners, I did and after reading the fwc staff presentation (also on the fwc website) I concluded they presented not one piece of evidence that cobia are being overfished. In fact to the contrary, central Florida anglers, me included, reported great cobia fishing the last several years, It is only 2 counties in the panhandle that are reporting poor fishing. Very easy to conclude that you can't have very good fishing here and poor fishing there and over fishing be responsible. Migration patterns change and for some reason ie change in water temps the fish are not coming that close inshore. Everyone should regularly go to the fwc website and review the commission meeting , draft proposals and upcoming votes and voice your opinion accordingly.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,475 AG
    Another proposal to punish the average fisherman, and support the commercial fishing establishment.
    bull **** you ignorant ****.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    get off your *** and go to the meetings and provide some imput, that's how you get stuff done.

That being said, the cobia push came from the Panhandle guides whose spring runs are down, they blame the SW Fl. fisherman for catching the barely legal fish in the fall and winter before they get to migrate back to Panama City and points west.

I was shocked at the huge jump in size, didn't see that coming.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,444 Officer
    Randemgun wrote: »
    Everyone who supports leaving it at 33 in state waters should go to the fwc website and send a message to all the commissioners, I did and after reading the fwc staff presentation (also on the fwc website) I concluded they presented not one piece of evidence that cobia are being overfished. In fact to the contrary, central Florida anglers, me included, reported great cobia fishing the last several years, It is only 2 counties in the panhandle that are reporting poor fishing. Very easy to conclude that you can't have very good fishing here and poor fishing there and over fishing be responsible. Migration patterns change and for some reason ie change in water temps the fish are not coming that close inshore. Everyone should regularly go to the fwc website and review the commission meeting , draft proposals and upcoming votes and voice your opinion accordingly.

The guides got their way with the redfish, the cobia and trout are next. SAME THING TO THE T!!
    If you make money on fish, you spend time and money on getting more fish. Average Joe can't win.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,444 Officer
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »

I hope he was referring to guides and party boats.
    I have a lot of respect for many guides and even more of a soft spot for commercial.
    Fact is , enough are just playing too dirty at this point to stop them. And they know it.
    Things always change though. For better or worse.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    No commercial on this coast targets cobia, it more of a bycatch on a grouper trip,,

Bad thing is that most recs follow fishery management and hav very little knowledge on what drives the rulemaking..
    Same thing for hunters though, IMO hunters are more tuned in to the process.

Art is right, it has nothing to do with supporting commercial fishermen
    Westwall01

If I catch a 33" cobia in Federal water, which is the legal limit for Federal water, and proceed directly from Federal Water to the dock without stopping, to land the fish. what would the violation be. There are several differences between State and Federal regulations for different species and I believe that one can travel over State water, without stopping, to land fish caught in Federal water. Mangrove Snapper comes to mind. You are allowed 10 mangroves in Federal water but only 5 in State water, but one is allowed to proceed without stopping from Federal water to the dock to land all 10

I agree Jack, my reply should have clarified that
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,452 Officer
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    Art is right, it has nothing to do with supporting commercial fishermen

You agree with Art calling someone ignorant...........yet you were the first person to answer the OP with an "incorrect answer":huh

YJCMTSU:rolleyes

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

You agree with Art calling someone ignorant...........yet you were the first person to answer the OP with an "incorrect answer":huh

Re-read my post reference Art. It clearly states that's I agree with him that the new law has nothing to do with supporting commercial fisherman. Its states nothing else. Secondly my answer to the OP was not incorrect, rather it was not a full and complete answer which would have clarified the total situation better should it go into effect, but I already owned that.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,387 Officer
    Graphic of the general pattern of cobia migration in the southeastern U.S.
    Source: GCRL

I attached a copy of the migration pattern, from a study conducted by the Southern University of Mississippi. One would think, if there was a problem, the other 4 States would be following FWC's guidance on the amount of Cobia taken and the size limits. Louisiana 33" 2/person, Alabama 33" 2/person, Mississisppi 33" 2/person and the only State which has a larger size, Texas 37" 2/person. Doesn't make sense.

Evidently the map doesn't show: however, the pattern shown on the website shows that the Cobia travels south along the East Coast around the keys and north along the Gulf Coast of Florida and along the panhandle towards Texas.
  • relicshunterrelicshunter Posts: 602 Officer
    I have commented to FWC before the last meeting when they proposed the increase.
    I also am not saying anything against the commercial fisherman other then it should be the same as we are held to if they change it. If they are not targeted and are mainly a by catch, so what! it should still match what we have especially since they are in deeper water and they are larger out there.
    I have commented to FWC before the last meeting when they proposed the increase.
    I also am not saying anything against the commercial fisherman other then it should be the same as we are held to if they change it. If they are not targeted and are mainly a by catch, so what! it should still match what we have especially since they are in deeper water and they are larger out there.
    it's the same..

Cobia
    Draft rule changes for cobia to be brought back before the Commission in September for a final public hearing include:
    Creating a Gulf/Atlantic management boundary defining all state waters north of the Monroe-Collier county line as “Gulf state waters” for purposes of managing cobia.
    Increasing the minimum size limit in Gulf state waters from 33 to 38 inches fork length.
    Making the recreational and commercial bag limits in Gulf state waters the same by reducing the commercial trip limit from two to one fish per person.
    Reducing the recreational and commercial vessel limit in Gulf state waters from six to two per vessel per day.

poster is ignorant as to who is fueling the proposed change..
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    poster is ignorant as to who is fueling the proposed change..

You seem to personally insult a lot of people with your posts, as you hide behind your computer. You also frequent sex shops. Enjoy your right hand tonight.
    You seem to personally insult a lot of people with your posts, as you hide behind your computer. You also frequent sex shops. Enjoy your right hand tonight.
    I don't hide, my name is Art Cannon, what's yours?
    Sex shops? Only to visit your Mom and she really liked my right hand and the left at the same time.
    Pm me if you'd like to meet up for a beer.
  • ANUMBER1 wrote: »

A1If I was in that part of Florida I would definitely hook up for a beer. I like you attitude here!
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 503 Officer
    Best as I can tell increase size limits on other species have shown no positive results - just fewer fish I can keep- not more larger fish-
    The smaller fish are still being taken by commercial catch - measured in tons - so increasing size limit on recreational only is ineffective.
    This is from my personel observation and experience- which I tend to trust more than outside sources with an agenda.
    With limits at 1 of these and 2 of those- recreational fishermen are not influencing anything. The six ARS I have kept this year certainly has not depleated the stock. Hard to get on board when commerical catch is measured in tons per trip- and I have 2 fish.
    Best as I can tell increase size limits on other species have shown no positive results - just fewer fish I can keep- not more larger fish-
    The smaller fish are still being taken by commercial catch - measured in tons - so increasing size limit on recreational only is ineffective.
    This is from my personel observation and experience- which I tend to trust more than outside sources with an agenda.
    With limits at 1 of these and 2 of those- recreational fishermen are not influencing anything. The six ARS I have kept this year certainly has not depleated the stock. Hard to get on board when commerical catch is measured in tons per trip- and I have 2 fish.
    Again, you have no clue to the cobia fishery, did you just pull that post out of your ***?

You are part of the problem in rec fisheries and will probably never be part of the solution...

*depleted:grin
    I tell you what, I'll petition the commission to shut down all cobia fishing (including directed C&R) for ten years..
    Let's get on board with that guys!
    For the good of the fishery, it certainly won't hurt the true commercial fishery, don't know if the guides in the panhandle can stomach it though.
    I tell you what, I'll petition the commission to shut down all cobia fishing (including directed C&R) for ten years..
    Let's get on board with that guys!
    For the good of the fishery, it certainly won't hurt the true commercial fishery, don't know if the guides in the panhandle can stomach it though.

LOL!
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 503 Officer
    Again, you have no clue to the cobia fishery, did you just pull that post out of your ***?

You are part of the problem in rec fisheries and will probably never be part of the solution...

*depleted:grin

FLUSHED
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,163 AG

I had you pegged for one of those guys who puts clamato in budweiser.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    I had you pegged for one of those guys who puts clamato in budweiser.
    nah, I do like bud though..