Home General Fishing

A little help here

jhedgjhedg Posts: 103 Deckhand
So I am kind of new to this inshore fishing thing. As I was cruising around in the boat the other day just to get a feel of the area I found a deep hole in the middle of a grass flat where it drops to 12ft. All around the drop off it is 3-5ft. what should I look for in this area. How should I fish it during incoming, and out going tides. what type of fish should I focus on? should I vertical fish the spot? this saltwater thing is new to me. Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• tailwaterstailwaters Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Most holes are best fished on a low tide. Post up far enough away the you can cast to it without spooking any fish that might be in it.
  • FlfjackFlfjack Posts: 646 Officer
    Where are you located?
    East Boynton
    IG jack.bbi
  • jhedgjhedg Posts: 103 Deckhand
  • jhedgjhedg Posts: 103 Deckhand
    tailwaters wrote: »
    Most holes are best fished on a low tide. Post up far enough away the you can cast to it without spooking any fish that might be in it.

should I fish the deepest part? the edges? bottom fish with live bait, I would just dropshot it if were a freshwater hole
  • Tim FredTim Fred Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Flounder may be laying around the edges and the middle, too.
    When fishing for trout in the grass, I always try to test the holes for a flattie whenever the drift takes us over one.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 858 Officer
    Look for seatrout laying in the hole. Fish it at low tide, preferably the last hour of the outgoing tide or the first hour or so of the incoming tide, so the water is low but there is water moving. You could try a popping cork with a shrimp suspended underneath. Stay as far away as you can while still being able to cast past it and bring the popping cork back across the top of the hole. Something like a DOA shrimp fished along the edges of the hole, to where it almost touches the grass right before you twitch it back up should work too.

Good luck.