Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Marathon Sept Full Moon Game Plan??

Was wondering if anyone can help with a fishing game plan for Labor day week. Checked the tides and moon phases and it seems I picked the week of the full moon to come down and I am utterly perplexed on how I should plan my fishing. Water temps are super hot. I know I'm missing all the full moon summer snappers spawns. Mahi feed at night during the full moon. Blah Blah blah. I just don't know what to target and where. Offshore, reef, bridges, bay?? All I can think of is getting out later in the afternoon, drift some baits deep for groupers and muttons, and maybe chum the reef at dusk for yellowtail. Maybe make a run to the hump one morning and see if I can jig up some tuna. Any info would help tremendously. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,727 Captain
    Wahoo trolling
  • Matt888Matt888 Posts: 19 Deckhand
    After 4pm troll some black feathers waaaaay back. Like 400-500' back at 8-12 knots. Do this in 200-400' of water and you're almost guaranteed BFT. I would also consider a wahoo lure down 25-50' on a downrigger.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,702 Captain
    possible wahoos
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • highairlohighairlo Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I never thought about wahoo, but the full moon and September makes it a good option. Is this an early morning only endeavor? Hi speed? I've got some stretch 30+'s that should work, but I don't think it would troll fast. And I'll definitely look to troll some feathers for BFT if I'll be out there looking for deep grouper spots. Thanks for the replies.
  • Dirt McgirtDirt Mcgirt Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Following, I'm heading down there in August on the full moon and was wondering the same thing. I had about the same game plan too, hit the reef for yellowtail, dive for lobster, but I wasn't sure what to do for pelagics. Thanks for the suggestions guys! Maybe I'll try Matt888s advice. I would absolutely love some fresh tuna and poke bowls!!
  • Matt888Matt888 Posts: 19 Deckhand
    Look for birds first when trying to find BFT, or better yet - footballs busting the surface before putting the feathers out. Don't lose hope if you don't see these signs though. Get the rigs out and cover the areas off of the reef once you get to 150'-400' of water. Sometimes the BFT will be thick in 150' and other days they'll be out deeper. Yes, you'll be into the bonita and if you're real lucky, the skipjacks. I've always had better luck with skipjacks deeper than 400' of water. Good luck!