Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

bullynetting rules and regulations lower keys

Hey guys, I am not looking for spots or anything else. I am just looking to get a link to detailed regulations on bullynetting. I am a full time resident near mm10 not a tourist, I recently bought a skiff and made my initial attempts to set it up for bullynetting. I just want to have fun with family and play by the rules. Legal start/stop time, distance from people's homes or docks, can you do it in canal's etc.. any recommendations on techniques is appreciated but not the intention of the post.

Thanks!

Replies

• latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,052 Captain
    The myfwc.com site has the information, I personally have never done it but you should be able to find it for Monroe County. As I recall no bully netting in canals and you need to be 300 feet from residential homes, good luck.
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    opens at midnight tonight closes at midnight Thursday if posible i'm not familiar with the flats down there but i like to work the edges of flats that are next to deeper channels. also lobster walk up into shallow water on the incoming tide and walk off when the tide stars heading back out.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • AMPEDAMPED Posts: 619 Officer
    Ask the 78 year old that got arrested this morning and then do the exact opposite.
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,052 Captain
    AMPED wrote: »
    Ask the 78 year old that got arrested this morning and then do the exact opposite.

Was that guy bullynetting?
  • AMPEDAMPED Posts: 619 Officer
    Yes, he had 33 lobsters for one person, one of which was short, all with bullynets.
    2016 39 Sea Vee
    2008 37 Ocean Billfish
    2005 30 Grady-White Marlin
    1993 27 Ultress Catamaran
    1985 Grady-White Trophy
  • bigd9116bigd9116 Posts: 101 Deckhand
    i should atleast get his location, not his morals BC I didn't have much luck. My first ever attempt, we worked the flats between Geiger key and shark channel (Atlantic entrance)1-4' with only 2 keepers to show for it. We seen a few others that were undersized, It was a good attempt and a learning experience but we didn't have much luck, Still a nice evening on the water. Next time I will work towards the gulf side I guess. There were a couple of boats near the channel but nothing crazy I am not sure how they were doing.
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    Takes a lot of time on the water to find your good spots. where they walk and when they walk. you could be on a flat that has 0 and in an hour or 2 it can come alive with bugs walking. I have always found that I did my best when I was there for the first incoming tide after dark. maybe some one from down your way will give you a heads up on some good areas. good luck opening weekend showed give you another try.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\