Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

That's not a good omen...

I get to the ramp today and I see topwater guy is already in the water. He asks which way I'm heading and I say " North"...since the only way I can make the game happen is by getting a Trout early and I have not caught a Trout south of the causeway in a while.
I run up and it is really a bit early to see my topwater so I opt to throw the jig and CAL . A few casts in I get a good strike and a hard fighting bulldog fight...which once again had me thinking " Nice red "....but the reality of large gafftop catfish becomes apparent at boatside. :banghead The low incomer is not a help at this point.
The next spot is empty but the next after that yields a jack...and a sub slot Trout. I take a few more casts but know I need to go and start fishing the other two I need. Southbound to try for the rest. Another jack and I am moving further south. The water is getting worse as the relief canal water is very fresh and dirty.
This is where I get lucky... Even though it was early, cloudy, and the water was not very clean...I saw a Red.
AND...I had a nice lively small mullet pinned on.... and....

WSajjell.jpg

Well, now I just need a snook... seems easy...and I have time...and.... I catch another jack...another Trout...and a mangrove snapper.
It is getting late...it's closing in on 11 AM.... It is looking bleak...and I cannot believe after days of catching numerous snook...that this is what is going to hang me up. I figure I will hit another spot before I quit....

4Pt32uQl.jpg
Well, there it is...#30 On the trailer at 11:15
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Joe - what has changed out there? I remember you easily getting slams recently and now you are struggling a bit.

It it bait, water clarity, any idea?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Rich M wrote: »
    Joe - what has changed out there? I remember you easily getting slams recently and now you are struggling a bit.

It it bait, water clarity, any idea?

Well, I am at about 50% of the past 3 or 4 seasons pace. My best non scientific :wink " anecdotal" guess... Is that the habitat has degraded that much more since last season in what I refer to as " the middle river " ( Mel beach to Vero )
    Contrary to the great proclamations that some ill informed say of recovering seagrasses...the guy who has lived here since 1979 and is on the water *DAILY* does not see that...He see's more Macro Algae indicating higher nutrient loads ( they are nutrient sinks) and various drift algae species. Now bear in mind this is particular to only my section of the river...some areas ( I am told) are faring slightly better......BUT, the scientific community KNOWS what the percentage of decline is...but is VERY hesitant to discuss it. Some, have a very vested interest in keeping their narrative in place...after all, if you are pulling a 6 figure salary with nice bennies...you sure as heck are not going to throw your hands up in the air and say " Oh man, it's over boys...we went over the falls...and we're not going back *UNLESS* we spend a hundred kajillion billion dollars fixing infrastructure and massive demucking along with many other projects " You keep your opinions to yourself and sell the narrative that keeps your gravy train on the tracks.

And as far as the right now... We are approaching the near zenith of water temps... we start the morning at 83 - 84 degrees....and climb thru the day.
    Add in that now we have dirty fresh water entering the system and water clarity is tanking fast.... and i am almost afraid that with the past couple days of cloud cover...we could see a big drop on O/2 saturation overnight and a resultant die off. Fingers crossed there...

On a related note....I will post todays slam #31 :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 694 Admin
    Thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.
  • jhdog13jhdog13 Posts: 270 Deckhand
    Sad part, I just addressed this issue with others. Have past records where Trout in the 3 to 5 pound range were caught on every trip and Reds to 30 inches were common. This year one 29 inch Trout and I think 2 slot Reds.