Home General Paddle Craft

Fishing In The Heat

In The Heat-

[video]

The Weatherman said it was going to be hot....and it was, but fishing was even hotter. I found the fish and the bite was hot. It was a little windy early in the day, but the wind died down by late morning and the fish were hungry. Had a great time out there....crazy thing, I never saw a boat the whole time I was there. Can't wait to get back out......

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,381 Captain
    Looks like a lot fun action, mosquito lagoon ?
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Great action! I normally fish up near Kars Park, but need to come up further that way to the Lagoon. Well done on the reds!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Nice video, enjoyed that. :Rockon I have Ugly Sticks and more expensive rods - I catch my biggest fish and never have a problem with the Ugly Sticks. I do get longer casts and more sensitivity with the expensive rods but often that doesn't matter. What line & leader do you use?
  • Hobie AnglerHobie Angler Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Looks like a lot fun action, mosquito lagoon ?

Yes John... Mosquito Lagoon!
    mjrudd1 wrote: »
    Nice video, enjoyed that. :Rockon I have Ugly Sticks and more expensive rods - I catch my biggest fish and never have a problem with the Ugly Sticks. I do get longer casts and more sensitivity with the expensive rods but often that doesn't matter. What line & leader do you use?

I like going light.... Typically 10lb braid with 20lb Fluorocarbon. Seems to be the magic number for the lagoons. You can always go lighter for the challenge. If you hook a monster Redfish or Snook....don't try to stop them right away like some people do. Let them run if they want to run. Doesn't happen every day, but they are there....and eventually you will find them.
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 278 Deckhand
    I like going light.... Typically 10lb braid with 20lb Fluorocarbon. Seems to be the magic number for the lagoons. You can always go lighter for the challenge. If you hook a monster Redfish or Snook....don't try to stop them right away like some people do. Let them run if they want to run. Doesn't happen every day, but they are there....and eventually you will find them.

Thanks for the info. One of these days I'm going to invest in a quality light outfit but every time it comes down to pulling the trigger, I buy a 4000 or bigger reel so I can use it for a variety of fish on different rods, not just the shallow flats. Got to get me a 2500 one day...
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 169 Deckhand
    Was that just like a broom stick you put in the scupper as an anchor? Great idea!
    Go0gan wrote: »
    Was that just like a broom stick you put in the scupper as an anchor? Great idea!

Since I am fishing real shallow water, anything works as a stakeout pole. A piece of PVC pipe does it for me.