Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bait

Staying at Anchorage. I need to know where to cast net or sabiki bait in a hurry. Apparently the Mahi only wanted live bait today. I pitched everything from live small filefish or every type of cut bait to jigs and buck tails to them. Couldn't get a hook up. Found big schools, kept them around boat and chummed. Would not bite a bait. Big boats around us that found schools wore them out pitching live bait which looks like pilchards. Going back out this evening for a Mahi bite if I can find live bait. help!!!

Replies

• FLORIDA_BOY2FLORIDA_BOY2 Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    One other thing was the dolphin looked like they wanted to hang down 40-60'. Coming up to 10-20' randomly. Staying in key largo since I didn't specify. Also, do y'all just hook the live bait to mono leader with J hook?
  • SaltologySaltology Posts: 125 Deckhand
    If you want the bait, ya gotta look for the bait. No one will tell you exactly where to get it, especially pilchards. Pinfish are easy though, buy a trap, float it in a low-travel place, and put a block of chum in it and wait. or just put a block out and use hair hooks to catch them. If you really want pilchards live, you gotta get them at night. Mark on the sounder, put out chum, use sabikis. If you want them dead, you can find small ones in the mangrove cuts and in cuts in the flats.
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    One other thing was the dolphin looked like they wanted to hang down 40-60'. Coming up to 10-20' randomly. Staying in key largo since I didn't specify. Also, do y'all just hook the live bait to mono leader with J hook?
    I use a piece of Fluorocarbon for leader and tie a J hook to that
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\