7-15 Rock Hind Grouper Report

Similar to a couple weekends ago my wife and I started out of Tierra Verde Saturday morning with storms looming to the west and somewhat choppy seas, so we stopped at the Hogpen to pick up a few groceries,:fishing by mid morning it had calmed down and the storms had dissipated so we headed west towards blue water. I marked fish in 67' so we parked there and enjoyed lunch while catching a couple Red Snapper, sort of shallow for ARS, but I have caught them in 50' out of Anclote. While there we caught at least a half dozen or more of what I believe are Rock Hind Grouper, not 100% sure, but I'm sure I'll get numerous opinions to confuse me further. :wink The winds and waves were favorable heading back to the marina and I was making great time until FWC decided to board us for an impromptu inspection,: they checked our fish and licenses, they were polite and quick and sent us on our way.
:thumbsup

Replies

• swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 643 Officer
    I believe it's a red hind based on the black edged dorsal and tail fin with the white behind it. Sad that there is no size limit for harvesting. Nice keeper hogs and reds. Fish On!
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 668 Officer
    Not a Rock Hind or a Red Hind, it is a Graysby. As for the lack of a size limit, the hinds rarely get over 3-4 pounds and the graysby top out at around 2 pounds. Fish that small and delicate (graysby are a lot less robust than red grouper) have a low survival rate in the best situations, and even if they're only 12" they are still mature adults. I've been seeing a lot more graysby in our area while diving than in previous years. We don't catch them on hook and line very frequently because they really hug the rocks and their little holes so a bait has to cross right over their nose for them to grab it most of the time.
  • jay825jay825 Posts: 517 Officer
    Good eats :fishing
    A BAD DAY OF FISHING! IS BETTER THAN A DAY HOME WITH THE WIFE!!
  • KeepnitreelKeepnitreel Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Not a Rock Hind or a Red Hind, it is a Graysby. As for the lack of a size limit, the hinds rarely get over 3-4 pounds and the graysby top out at around 2 pounds. Fish that small and delicate (graysby are a lot less robust than red grouper) have a low survival rate in the best situations, and even if they're only 12" they are still mature adults. I've been seeing a lot more graysby in our area while diving than in previous years. We don't catch them on hook and line very frequently because they really hug the rocks and their little holes so a bait has to cross right over their nose for them to grab it most of the time.

You are 100% correct, definately a graysby judging by the tail....I've see alot them in Bermuda up until recently (lionfish invasion taking its toll) when diving deeper reefs for lobster. As for hinds, they do get bigger than 3-4lbs, but not in the Gulf for some reason. I think the grouper out-forage them and they just stay smaller. I've caught ones over 8lbs and they taste amazing baked in the over wrapped in foil. Good eye!
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,184 Moderator
    Will to the rescue, our resident marine biologist, thanks for your contributions.

Nice job at the Hogpen, you have that dialed in.
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 689 Admin
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community!

You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica!

Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.