Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Cudjoe 7/17

Since we just got down to Cudjoe (spending a month here) we decided to take the newly repaired boat out for a small reef test trip b4 a dolphin trip tomorrow. The plan was to pull spoons over the reef until we marked fish and then set up 4 tails. The troll didn't pick up anything, but we only looked for about 15 minutes or so b4 we found some decent marks. Set up in 95 with decent current = bust. Pulled and set up in about 80, with great current. Started chumming and within minutes a giant school of file fish showed up. managed to pull 2 of them to the boat on tiny hooks baits and leader. After that got tired of it and managed to cast past them as they were close. Dad pulled in 2 tails, one about 3 pounds. Then something else showed up. Cut off after cut off. Went from 10# to 20# to 30# and still no contest. Tried a tiny trace, but nothing ate. Then we saw a bunch of what I think was yellow jacks right at the boat, that ate chunked sardines, but none with a hook though:banghead . Came in with the 2 files and 2 tails, enough for a decent dinner. Hoping for a good dolphin day tomorrow. Any advice on the jacks would be greatly appreciated, we've caught a couple b4 and they were great.
-Nick

Replies

  • DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    Sounds like cero mackerel were cutting you off. You might try another style hook with an extra-long shank.
  • SaltologySaltology Posts: 125 Deckhand
    So an extra long shank J hook? Sounds like a better idea. I was using circles.
  • msk99msk99 Posts: 356 Deckhand
    Got in to my first yellow jacks last week.....live shrimp on a 1/16 ounce jig was the ticket. When they showed up they didn't **** around.....right to the shrimp and the fight was on. Very aggressive and a great fight.
  • msk99msk99 Posts: 356 Deckhand
    DogDoc wrote: »
    Sounds like cero mackerel were cutting you off. You might try another style hook with an extra-long shank.

    x2 we went through a bunch of jigs flatlining....still managed to land a good number of ceros tho.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    Ceros, long shank hook or just get lucky.
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    Saltology wrote: »
    Since we just got down to Cudjoe (spending a month here) we decided to take the newly repaired boat out for a small reef test trip b4 a dolphin trip tomorrow. The plan was to pull spoons over the reef until we marked fish and then set up 4 tails. The troll didn't pick up anything, but we only looked for about 15 minutes or so b4 we found some decent marks. Set up in 95 with decent current = bust. Pulled and set up in about 80, with great current. Started chumming and within minutes a giant school of file fish showed up. managed to pull 2 of them to the boat on tiny hooks baits and leader. After that got tired of it and managed to cast past them as they were close. Dad pulled in 2 tails, one about 3 pounds. Then something else showed up. Cut off after cut off. Went from 10# to 20# to 30# and still no contest. Tried a tiny trace, but nothing ate. Then we saw a bunch of what I think was yellow jacks right at the boat, that ate chunked sardines, but none with a hook though:banghead . Came in with the 2 files and 2 tails, enough for a decent dinner. Hoping for a good dolphin day tomorrow. Any advice on the jacks would be greatly appreciated, we've caught a couple b4 and they were great.
    -Nick

    It sounds like blue runners IMO. If yellow jacks are around a live pinfish or pilchard will do the trick
  • pinfisherpinfisher Posts: 317 Deckhand
    Saltology wrote: »
    So an extra long shank J hook? Sounds like a better idea. I was using circles.
    Ditch the circles for small live bait hooks 1 or 1/0
  • SaltologySaltology Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Don't think they were blue runners, in the water they had a bit of a blue and yellow stripe it looked like. Too small to be rainbows, but I could be wrong. We had a few of those same fish hangin around today, and ended up catching a monster runner a little later
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    Those are the runners, the ones down there will have an electric blue stripe and some yellow under it when they are in the water.
  • SaltologySaltology Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Wow ok thanks, I never would've thought that they would look different in the water
Sign In or Register to comment.