Another Firetruck...ARS...Offshore Report

Saturday 7/1/2017.....4 of us Headed out about 7am to take advantage of the Red Snapper season extension.
Seas were 2' to 3' with some white caps here and there.

1st stop was in about 125'. Dropped down with squid and picked up a mixed bag of Red and Lane Snapper we released everything and left them biting. Headed on out another 8 miles to 155' feet of water. When we found them we couldnt hardly hit the bottom before someone was hooked up. We limited out easily. However the fish were not as big as the ones we caught last week. We could have easily limited out 10 x's over but they were all in the 17" to 20" range. Last week we were throwing those back...Haul for the day was 8 ARS (limit for 4 people), 1 mangrove snapper about 22", we kept about 10 of the bigger vermillions, and another big Grouper about 30". ....Only Grouper we caught. Thats 2 weeks in a row we have caught solitary big Grouper on the snapper holes....The fish are there in great numbers. If someone went more than 45 seconds without hooking up there baitwas probably gone. Seas laid down in the afternoon and we cruised in about 35mph.

Big difference this week was I had to drift as we were having a terrbile time getting the anchor to fetch up. I had every bit of rope that I had out and about 25 feet of anchor chain and it kept pulling. There was a hell of a current. 3 pound dive weight on my marker buoy holding it in place and I noticed a wake behind the buoy and at times the buoy was going under. Going to add some more anchor rope.

fefef.jpg

Replies

• whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Love those days where you count to 10 or so and if you don't feel a bite, just start reeling, you either have a fish, or don't have bait. Thanks for the report.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,058 AG
    How big is your chain and how big kiss your boat?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,058 AG
    Mango Man wrote: »
    How big is your chain and how big is your boat?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • KrackenKracken Posts: 72 Deckhand
    Mango Man wrote: »
    How big is your chain and how big kiss your boat?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk[/QUO

I have about 25' of chain. I have plenty. Just needed some more rope. I usually don't have any issue anchoring out to 150' With the way the current was ripping it kept pulling. I think I have about 230' of anchor rope. I need to add about 100'
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Anchoring is subject to lots of opinions and I'm sure you'll hear a few. Chapman's and other boating references generally call for a minimum rode length of five times the water depth. This doesn't mean that you can't get an anchor to bite in 150 fow with less than 750 feet of line. Boat size and weight, anchor style and weight, chain length and weight, bottom type and weather conditions all play into this. But, this rule of thumb does illustrate that you're not carrying very much rode for fishing in 150 fow. If you have the space on board, I'd add at least another 250 feet of line. It's just my opinion, but I think you are borderline unsafely equipped with that little anchor line fishing in that depth of water. Not trying to bust chops, just want everyone to stay safe.
  • FS ShelbyFS Shelby Posts: 687 Officer
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community! You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica! Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.
    Anchoring is subject to lots of opinions and I'm sure you'll hear a few. Chapman's and other boating references generally call for a minimum rode length of five times the water depth. This doesn't mean that you can't get an anchor to bite in 150 fow with less than 750 feet of line. Boat size and weight, anchor style and weight, chain length and weight, bottom type and weather conditions all play into this. But, this rule of thumb does illustrate that you're not carrying very much rode for fishing in 150 fow. If you have the space on board, I'd add at least another 250 feet of line. It's just my opinion, but I think you are borderline unsafely equipped with that little anchor line fishing in that depth of water. Not trying to bust chops, just want everyone to stay safe.

Anchor was plenty big enough. .....I added 400' of rope for a total of 600-650.
    FS Shelby wrote: »
    Great report, thanks for sharing with the FS forum community! You will now be entered in our forum giveaway! Keep posting new reports until September 31st for more chances to win the fishing trip of a lifetime with Fishing Nosara in Costa Rica! Check out http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/06/12/win-costa-rica-fishing-adventure/ for more details.

Sweet....Thanks.
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Kracken wrote: »
    Anchor was plenty big enough. .....I added 400' of rope for a total of 600-650.

Very cool. Great investment to be safer, and besides, hauling that anchor up repeatedly from 150 fow when it keeps slipping you past your spots is no fun!
  • showstoppershowstopper Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Get a ball and "fly" it up. Nothing mechanical; no battery drain: no heart attack after 100 feet.