Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Overnight tent camping trip

2»

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 28,084 AG
    Back when i first started fishing the 10 K and Flamingo 40 plus years ago i had no one to teach me anything about the areas, so we carried a lot of survival equipment. We got very lucky a few times and managed never to spend an un-planned night out in the back country. To rest ours fears of being eaten alive by bugs, my wife sewed together a huge piece of no-see-um netting and added weights along it's entire circumference. She designed it to complexly cover our 16 ft Lowe and hang below the water line, even if we both were sitting up. (Complete bug suits were not available back then, or we just didn't know where buy them.) I still have that no see um netting, and still carry it in a water proof bag, but never had to deploy it.

That's pretty cool.

A couple of times, many years ago, we rented houseboats from a marina on Marco, anchored behind Hog Key and spend a few nights. We would have 4 or 5 people, two or three skiffs, a grill and deep fryer and it's probably the best times I have had fishing.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,578 Admiral
    Never had to spend an Unexpected night out in the Bush.
    Slid 30 ft. up on that spur north side of Pavilion one night bout 11 pm. Fishing the fall at New Turkey till slap dark thirty.
    Slid right up, looked at the low water and grabbed the rod to fish the shore for 3 hours, back at home around 3 ish AM.
    Went all the way up the Ferguson river on day and had the prop fall off soon as I hit reverse.
    One 12 pack and a dead troll motor battery and I was back at the ramp just after Midnight...
    What don't kill you makes you stronger
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,219 Officer
    Great trip and write up. You are def hard core!!!!!!!!!!
    Also, a hand held GPS might be a good addition.
  • CapnAhabCapnAhab Posts: 250 Deckhand
    One tip about the bugs from my experience...Deet works well on mosquitoes but noseeums seem to still get through it. I like the lemon eucalyptus bug spray much better now as I have found it works well on noseeums and mosquitoes. In addition to your grouper question we did catch a 212lb goliath (length and girth calculation) in one of the passes on a cut mullet chunk last time out camping. Love all the other advice. I have posted a few threads just like you asking for advice and always found this section to be the most helpful with advice. I have camped there in the summer twice and yes bugs are bad, yes storms are threatening and you sweat all day and night but the fishing is phenomenal. Its worth it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised
  • AndrewFLAndrewFL Posts: 57 Deckhand
    Way to go man! Awesome report. Glad you were rewarded with your biggest sharks to date! Fishing is truly trial and error, you've got a pair and you also have my respect :cool