Beach / Wading what to expect end of August?

I'll be in Pinellas county last two weeks of August this year . I'll spin ( arties ) & fly 8w most beaches Blind Pass , Pass A Grille , Fort De Soto . What's catching this time of year ? Am I in the right places ? In the past I been up to St Joseph sound Honeymoon & Howard park . I can drive up to an hour north or south , mostly before sunrise . Thanks Hook I

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Snook at dusk and dawn on the beach. Depending on the year, spanish macks or trout in the grass and on the beach. Redfish in the passes, Mangos in the rocks.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    If it were me... Say marker 13 in Tampa Bay....just before the Skyway...That patch of flats between the 2 bridges on the East side.. big reds..big gator Trouts..... I think some call it the Clam Bar..
  • HookIHookI Posts: 105 Deckhand
    guys thanks for the speedy reply
    ~~Mutt~~ wrote: »
    If it were me... Say marker 13 in Tampa Bay....just before the Skyway...That patch of flats between the 2 bridges on the East side.. big reds..big gator Trouts..... I think some call it the Clam Bar..

Mutt looks like its before the tolls is parking not a problem ?
    When we fished there ..some time back..we would pay the toll headed south..then make a U turn under the bridge at the rest stop..then head back north..Take the service road that peels off to the right..go down about even with the toll booth.... you will see a sign that sez no motor vehicles.. park in that area and foot it from there..It's not far.. Wear some good booties an shuffle your feet cause the 1000's of African stingrays just came through.....Probably going to their mating grounds right off Phillipee Park
    ~~Mutt~~ wrote: »
    When we fished there ..some time back..we would pay the toll headed south..then make a U turn under the bridge at the rest stop..then head back north..Take the service road that peels off to the right..go down about even with the toll booth.... you will see a sign that sez no motor vehicles.. park in that area and foot it from there..It's not far.. Wear some good booties an shuffle your feet cause the 1000's of African stingrays just came through.....Probably going to their mating grounds right off Phillipee Park

Thank you Mutt
    I do have a good wading bootie for safe footing .
    Do you know of Lizzard Flats ? One guy on the beach told me but not knowing the Bay Area .
    Yeah..It's on the Northwest side of the Howard Franklin Bridge.. Not a bad flat.. We used to get some little Reds there... but was in a boat..
  • shempshemp Posts: 571 Officer
    You can wade around HF bridge...but if you're on the bridge shoulder or grass easement I'd expect a visit from the law

Be careful at the clambar in August. The better water is a bit on the deeper wading side of the bar, but there is a legion of sharks out there in late summer.

What to expect in August wading around the bay? I'd say sea lice and vibrio :rotflmao

JK Good luck the fish are around if the weather and floating gunk cooperates
    ^^^ completely understand thanks for the heads up !