Home Conservation Forums

Tying up to channel markers

mikenavmikenav Posts: 861 Officer
Is it legal to tie up to channel markers in order to fish some nearby docks? I usually only do this on mid-week trips when there isn't a lot of traffic. When tied up, I'm not impeding the channel, just holding my boat in line with it and the tide. But there is an old man who lives in the house right there that EVERY TIME comes out pointing his finger and calling someone (FWC, sheriff, I don't know, I never stick around). I just want to avoid any hassle.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    To avoid future tickets you probably shouldn't tie up to those markers.
  • jimglassjimglass Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Do not tie up to channel markers because you could block the view by others. Floating markers are not impossible to move even with a small boat. Good chance of receiving a verbal warning the first time.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
  • LMKLMK Posts: 596 Officer
    Mike, I never did so but recently was in the Port Saint Joe area and every channel marker on the way out of the bay had a boat tied up to it? Never seen anything like that anywhere else. I always anchor out of the channel outside the markers when I want to fish an area like that. Still - I can't stand that guy who come out hollering - makes me think of that episode of the Andy Grif show where Gommer yells, "Citizen Arrest, Citizen Arrest".
    Coast Guard says this,
    All Aids to Navigation are Protected By Law
    It is a criminal offense to cause any damage or hindrance to the proper operation of any
    Aid. Do not alter, deface, move, or destroy any Aid to Navigation. Never tie a vessel to
    a buoy, daybeacon, or light structure. Avoid anchoring so close to an Aid that the Aid is
    obstructed (hidden) from sight of another vessel. Report all intentional or unintentional
    collisions with navigation Aids to the U.S. Coast Guard.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Port St Joe is different. Hell, I've seen kids tied up to the concrete platform at the mouth of the bay, climbing the marker and jumping off. All in clear view of Hwy98. That's like the closet marker to shore in the bay.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 861 Officer
    Thank you, LMK. And just to clarify for some of the other commenters. This is an immovable piling. It's not a buoy or can or anything like that. It is at the end of the channel (first or last, depending on your direction) and whenever I tied up to it, I did so in a way that my boat was out of the channel (that's the best current to fish those docks). Plus, it's during the week, so there's barely any traffic anyway.

So, i'm out of the channel. It's a 15-foot tall piling, so the Pathfinder isn't blocking anything, and it's not damaging anything because my 1-inch nylon rope vs. a telephone pole is not much of a match.

But according to what LMK posted it's a criminal offense. Thank you!

And, yeah, Gomer is f)&%)#* annoying still.
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 503 Officer
    what about "C" tower?
  • gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 663 Officer
    You're forgetting that he whom yells at you from his land believes they "own" the water surrounding it. If you have to tie off, just do it so you can break away fast, and just give that @$$hole the sign of compliance with a friendly finger!
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,337 Moderator
    The law says you cannot do it

The 2016 Florida Statutes

Title XXIV
    VESSELS

Chapter 327
    VESSEL SAFETY

View Entire Chapter
    327.42 Mooring to or damaging of uniform waterway markers prohibited.—
    (1) No person shall moor or fasten a vessel to a lawfully placed uniform waterway marker, except in case of emergency or with the written consent of the marker’s owner.
    (2) No person shall willfully damage, alter, or move a lawfully placed uniform waterway marker.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    gatorhook wrote: »
    You're forgetting that he whom yells at you from his land believes they "own" the water surrounding it. If you have to tie off, just do it so you can break away fast, and just give that @$$hole the sign of compliance with a friendly finger!

Bad Advice