Considering doing a Weekend Tortuga trip NEED INFO/ ADVISE

I am looking at doing a Dry Tortugas Trip with Sea Trek out of Ft Myers, I need advise from people who have done similar trips.
What tackle would you bring and what other stuff do you take with you?

Replies

• 2florida2florida Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Tommy, I've done 2 trips on their boat.
    I'll start out with what may seem simple but I take with me.

Flat sheet for the bed, with a pillow of some sort
    Small flashlight to see in your bunk, when lights are out.
    Sleep during the day and fish all night. Catch a couple hours from time to time as they move
    The starboard side of the boat has more foot space to move, than the port.
    I bring a soft cooler with water, soda, beer if you like. Sandwiches I vacuum seal, just start the sealing process and stop before all the air is out. This way you don't crush the sandwich.
    They have a microwave only for cooking, not cook top.
    They have a single cup coffee maker, bring your own k-cups.
    They supply ice.
    Leave a fish cooler at shore, they put all fish in large coolers boxes for you. Sort later on shore.
    I bring colored zip ties to mark my fish.
    They supply hooks and bite leader, with swivel.
    You need egg sinkers, 4,6and 8 oz.
    they have squid and some cut bait too. Pin fish didn't work for me this last trip, Memorial Day weekend.
    Rods, can be 15-40lb rated 7' or so.
    Reels with 30-40 braid and top shot of 40.
    I fish chaos rods, 12-25 and 20-30 rated with torium and tranx 500 reels. These rods are more than strong enough for what you'd catch. The lighter rod I've caught AJ on.
    You'll be fishing water 125-200.

It's a long trip, boat only does about 9knots.
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 266 Deckhand
    I hope your trip goes better than ours. The captain was good and put us on fish. Unfortunately, a thunderstorm came up early and that was the end of the fishing, but such is life.

Now for the bad part. The mates demanded a tip before they would give us our fish. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever witnessed. It was not just to our group of six, but to everybody on the boat.
    nfairbank wrote: »
    Now for the bad part. The mates demanded a tip before they would give us our fish. It was the most disgusting thing I have ever witnessed. It was not just to our group of six, but to everybody on the boat.

I was considering a trip someday too. Never mind now lol. I'm sure other boats do the same trip.
  • 2florida2florida Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I haven't run into the tip problem. I tip right off at 20%.
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 266 Deckhand
    2florida wrote: »
    I haven't run into the tip problem. I tip right off at 20%.

We always tip and if we are lucky to have a pool fish, we split with the mates. This happened before the boat got back to the dock...
    Have not fished this boat,but did talk to them about A trip when I had a middle grounds trip cancelled last month.They were very good about explaining what is included in the trip.Every boat has their own policies,maybe the mates only get tips as compensation.
    The only other option you have for Tortugas trips is Yankee Captain in Key West.The Gulfstar and the boats from Hubbards Marina run trips to the middle grounds. I did go on A Tortugas trip from Ft. Myers some years ago on A boat that is no longer there.
    The tackle list 2florida gave sounds about right might add some hand rags and swim noodle piece for boat rail.
    I will be fishing the middle grounds next month on the Gulfstar to reschedule last months cancelled trip thanks to tropical storm Cindy.