Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

New to Big Bend region - looking for redfish

I just recently started school at UF and was looking to find some redfish anywhere from Steinhatchee to Homossasa. Not asking for anyone's spots but just a general area to start that is accessible by land. I also have a gheenoe back home in south Florida that I could bring up if I'm able to find a place in Gainesville to store it. Thanks

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Bring up the Gheenoe the shore fishing in this region sucks.
  • ElapidElapid Posts: 86 Deckhand
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Bring up the Gheenoe the shore fishing in this region sucks.

ditto, and the gheenoe will get you where you need to go and should let you launch at many of the kayak and dirt ramps. stay away from the crowds and you will do fine. there are plenty of fish to catch- bring a couple of your favorite top waters and swimming plugs and a handful of jigheads and gulp baits. you will be into them in no time.
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 943 Officer
    Definitely need a boat. Not much good shore access.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,333 Admiral
    When I was at UF we fished the shell mound area of cedar key a lot. Great for small boats. Gets inaccessible at low tide. Generally 2 hours before until 2 hours after high tide is good. Pretty close also. Good luck
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,612 Captain
    I wonder if you could catch them at Shired Island?
  • AlexNilesAlexNiles Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    Hey bud,

Check out UF's saltwater fishing club Salty Gators on Facebook. New member registration and meetings resume at the beginning of fall semester but you can connect with members who are still in town on the Facebook page. We're a bunch of anglers from all over but while stuck in school we tend to frequent the nature coast.

Tight lines and go Gators!
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    I rented a fishing kayak from Cedar Key Paddles, on the left past Bridge 3 as you come into town - around 40$ with tip for the entire afternoon. I hit the area out from the cemetery. On a super high tide, in the grass, the wormy huge old black drums were going to town as were the reds. The reds were congregating in areas and absent in others. It was neat. Lots of tails flying high. Only caught one though. Gold spoon.