Home Fly Fishing

Help with Naples

TimeFlyesTimeFlyes Posts: 2 Greenhorn
I was hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction regarding fishing around Naples. I'll be heading down there for Thanksgiving and am hoping to get out a few morning to try my luck (wading from shore). I was thinking about brining my 9 wt and an assortment of baitfish patterns. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• FLTXhunterFLTXhunter Posts: 516 Officer
    Well, if you ever get the opportunity to go down and fish the area in the Spring or Summer...that is recommendation number one! Naples has some fantastic flyfishing opportunities. THis time of year, a LOT of it depends on the weather and the water temps. When you say 'wading from shore'...are you talking about the beach or bays? If you have access to some of the bays, then you might find redfish, seatrout and Pompano over the grass. 9 weight with small baitfish patterns is perfect. I'd recommend finding some grassflats in the bays and wading and blind casting. You will more than likely find plenty of ladyfish and jack to at least bend the rod and like i said, there will be the occasional redfish and seatrout to round it out. Lots of great flyfishing guides in the area so if you can spring for that, i would. There is a flyshop down by the docks near downtown Naples and great one on hwy 41 south of Airport Rd, Mangrove Outfitters i believe is the name. The local shops will be huge in helping put you on some fish or at least point you in the right direction with patterns to throw, areas to try, etc. It is a great area and there are countless opportunities but local knowlege is a must so go and talk with the guys at some of the shops as soon as you get there. Good luck and post up some results after the trip.
  • JJDJJD Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    It's not the best time to hit the beaches, but there may be fish around. You could try Naples beach at sun up with some small white flies. Based upon recent trips ladyfish may be the most active - and they're a bt small for a 9. I typically toss a 7-weight, unless I'm spotting big snook. I'm not sure what you are into, but this time of year it's also fun to hit the canals around Loop Road for the assorted bass or Everglades exotic.

Everglades Angler closed their shop down near the city docks, so Mangrove Outfitters is your best bet for local fly tackle & info.

Do you have access to a kayak or canoe? I know several spots that have held small tarpon but you would need a boat. Drop me a PM and I can suggest a few more things.
  • CaptCapeCoralCaptCapeCoral Posts: 137 Officer
    you should be able to pick up some Mackerel off the beach, use any old clouser and 40# mono leader. Good luck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TimeFlyesTimeFlyes Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the help. I was going to hire a guide, but I thought it might be too much time away from the family so I'l try my luck along the beaches and the grass flats. Appreciate the intel and I'll check out the guys at Mangrove Outfitters. Anytime your up my way (Annapolis, MD), look me up. I'll give you the low down on how the striper bite has been.
  • jaymjaym Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Why not drive down Tamiami Trail and fish the ditch? Probably more productive than the beach at this time of year? Small flies seem to work best for me. Make sure some are weedless or bendback.

Jason
  • Long_Live_SnookLong_Live_Snook Posts: 55 Deckhand
    jaym wrote: »
    Why not drive down Tamiami Trail and fish the ditch? Probably more productive than the beach at this time of year? Small flies seem to work best for me. Make sure some are weedless or bendback.

Jason

Have to second this recommendation, small baitfish patterns have been good latley in the ditches and lakes. Watch for bugs.