Home Conservation Forums

Transporting fish and lobster from the Keys.

MacDocMacDoc Posts: 93 Deckhand
We will have two cars making the trip. I can transport all the fish and lobster in a freezer in my truck. What is the best procedure regarding the "legal limits"? Can we take a photo of the valid license and get a written statement from each to successfully transport? Secondly, 3 kids with us won't be license holders, what to do about that if they are not in my vehicle?

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,007 Admiral
    We used to do the same thing back in the day, we just made sure we traveled together. Never did get checked on the road but, I have heard it happens.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,015 AG
    Once cleaned packaged and frozen it is food not considered a marine resources, just like you can go to Publix and buy more than a daily limit of red snapper or lobster

Found this

Subject
    Transporting cleaned and frozen fish
    Discussion Thread
    Response (DLE-JF) 04/22/2010 08:56 AM
    In general, the daily bag limits set by commission rule for saltwater fishing are for a calendar day (24 hour period from midnight to midnight). These limits are also possession limits. Therefore, it is illegal to possess more than one day’s bag limit "while in, on, or above the waters of the State or on any dock, pier, bridge, beach or other fishing site adjacent to such waters" with regard to most species.

In Florida's fresh waters, a bag or creel limit is the number of fish an angler can harvest (keep) per day, with a two-day possession limit at a base camp, house boat, or when transporting prior to freezing. Things to keep in mind are: Once the fish are processed and placed in a freezer (not a cooler) at a residence (e.g., their permanent home, a mobile home or motel catering to anglers), they become a food product. From that point on there is no longer a limit on them. So for instance, if someone is fishing all winter and keeps processing their catch and adding fish to their freezer, then puts them on ice to transport someplace else, they can exceed the possession limit.Hopefully this clarifies the confusion you had about transporting. If you have further questions, please contact the Division of Freshwater Fisheries Management at 850-488-0331 or the Division of Marine Fisheries Management at 850-487-0554.

Thank you,
    FWC Customer Service
  • MacDocMacDoc Posts: 93 Deckhand
    Thank you dragon bait.