6/17/17 Kings Galore and a Mahi

Left Boca early Saturday and picked up some Gogs and Pilchards. Setup just south of Hillsboro - no wind at all, but a decent north current. We always drop a vertical jig when drifting livies and it seems to pay off. Had steady action most of the morning on the vertical jig between Kings and Bonita. Small kings not only destroyed our jigs, but also our live bait. Almost all of our bait got bit short, even the small pilchards :shrug Managed to get two Kings in the boat and kept one Bonita. Ran deep as bite slowed down and picked up a single Mahi on the only put together patch of weeds we saw all day in 700'-800'. Ran 15 miles out and there wasn't anything worth fishing out there. Follow us on Instagram: @reelcrankyfishingteam

@reelcrankyfishingteam

Replies

• pottydocpottydoc Posts: 2,170 Captain
    Add a stinger hook, a bunch of those short striking kings will be coming in the boat. You might have one on your rig I can't see, if so, disregard post. :)
  • CaptNemoCaptNemo Posts: 159 Deckhand
    @pottydoc - I had a stinger on the Gog and they still miss it :huh :shrug :huh
  • FlfjackFlfjack Posts: 646 Officer
    That's one heck of short strike on that pilchard. Thanks for the report.
    East Boynton
    IG jack.bbi
  • Fish'n MissionFish'n Mission Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Good pic's, you got some meat on the boat.... congrats. (I do very well vertical jigging as well).
    1998 Shamrock 246 WA
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 958 Officer
    Triggerfish!
  • MacDocMacDoc Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    Good pic's, you got some meat on the boat.... congrats. (I do very well vertical jigging as well).

Never tried vertical jigging. Got any tips for a newbie?
    @MacDoc - If you're drift/kite fishing just drop one down when you're on drift. It's just another way get bites

@bowhunter4life - The Triggers definitely got the best of one of those Pilchards
  • BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
    Where did you get the Pilchards in Boca?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Joe PJoe P Posts: 182 Deckhand
    Those bite marks are not from Kingfish.............
    Kings will cut the bait in half like a razor cut, something was munching on your baits, like a bar jack!
  • Bacon for baitBacon for bait Posts: 593 Officer
    Definitely a 50lb wahoo.
  • butts182butts182 Posts: 159 Deckhand
    Excuse my ignorance, but do you use any steel leader when jigging when you are around the kings?
  • BullMarketBullMarket Posts: 184 Deckhand
    If you are drifting and you have an extra clip on your rigger you can run a line up the rigger with the vertical jig about 50' down. As long as the boat is rocking a bit, you can set it and forget it. Always comes as a fun bite when the clip pops and you forgot the thing was even there.
    Palm Beach Pure Skin Care and Cosmetics PalmBeachPure.com
  • evernicevernic Posts: 730 Officer
    Triggerfish!

this ^^^^^^^^^^^, kings slice like with a knife
    2802 Trophy WA, 2x225Merc EFI's...sunk unamed storm 12-09looking for boat #10
  • KwallaceKwallace Boca RatonPosts: 18 Greenhorn
    Also curious about using wire when jigging... and if you don't mind me asking, what depth were you getting the kings in?
    @Kwallace - Kings were in 100' - 120'. We've found that once you put some wire on a jig it doesn't have the same "action" and not nearly many as bites, but I guess its better than losing the jigs...
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    Triggerfish!

That's what I was thinking. Short strikes from a king are more of a clean cut in a straight line.

Also, about wire on jigs, I do use it when around kings. If you look around, you can find some of the jigs from Tsunami that come pre-rigged with cable on the hook. Occasionally I see replacement assist hooks from Owner on cable in a package of 2 or 3. They are hard to find locally. I have used both cable & single strand above the jig as well. Both work. As Nemo said, the number of bites does seem to be affected when you add the wire.