Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Feeling froggy

Just got some new spro frogs today. Going to Lake Harris on Saturday. Can't wait to try them out
It only takes one bite to turn a bad day into a great one.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,770 Moderator
    Ha , I got some two days ago along with a new rod and reel to chunk 'um around with. :cool:
    My in-law said 17lb was weighed in last tues. there and the bag was caught on topwater !
    Good luck , I will try them Sunday on Hernando lake.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 260 Deckhand
    I asked this question on another thread but didn't get a response. I have seen some spots where I have wanted to throw a frog but feared the gators would hit it. Is that much of a problem frog fishing? Thanks :)
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,683 Captain
    If you see a gator chasing it reel really fast.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 16,000 AG
    I'd be more worried about them getting my bass once I had one on the line.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,462 AG
    It happens but it's not "much" of a problem.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • FlippinfoolFlippinfool Posts: 26 Deckhand
    That is a problem I face fishing on the St. John's a lot. I just keep my distance. If I really want to fish where there at I tease them out with the bait ( reeling really fast) then throw in the spot.
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 260 Deckhand
    Yeah, I guess it is a 2 part problem, hitting the frog and chasing the fish that hit the frog! LoL This is all new to me, dealing with gators, up north it was snapping turtles that would hit frogs and plastics.
  • FlippinfoolFlippinfool Posts: 26 Deckhand
    Gators aside, as much as I like frogs, not much reaction to them this year. 3 different water systems have told me it's time to change. Livetarget makes a sunfish hollow body bait I think most have caught on to.
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,549 Captain
    DES51 wrote: »
    I asked this question on another thread but didn't get a response. I have seen some spots where I have wanted to throw a frog but feared the gators would hit it. Is that much of a problem frog fishing? Thanks :)

Zoom Toads are my go to bail and i rarely have a gator problem.
  • gnappignappi Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Jeez, I haven't seen a gator all year down here in Broward or Palm Beach counties.
    Regards,

Gary
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 16,000 AG
    Gators aside, as much as I like frogs, not much reaction to them this year. 3 different water systems have told me it's time to change. Livetarget makes a sunfish hollow body bait I think most have caught on to.

The LiveTarget is pretty legit. I felt it was a bit gimmicky, but got one anyway to try. The bass love it and its action is more unique than most frogs.

Savage Gear Bluegill swimbait is pretty deadly too on bigger largemouth.

With the ponds now out of their banks, the topwater action is getting pretty good. I have only caught dinks so far, but it is fun.
    Just dropping grenades in OT