Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Snapper PCB and a visitor

Well Saturday was un-fishable for me with wife and daughter, but Sunday at least laid down to 2' to 4' sloppy. Ran south to a spot about 8 1/2 miles off shore in 75'. The wind and current made it tough to anchor on the number I targeted and on the third try finally got on hard bottom. Triggers and B-liners but no ARS at first. The Vermilion were good sandwich size 14" to 16" so we kept 7. Finally we were able to get 2 good Red Snapper in the boat without the porpoises eating them. All in all a good day!

The craziest thing happened just before we were getting ready to weigh anchor and leave. I saw a black hull center console heading straight at us at a trolling speed. The guy kept coming and eased up along side about 30' off my port side. A guy and his wife (I guess) with about a 16 year old kid driving the boat. ""Catching anything" the guy calls over, and I answer that yep, we've caught a few. I figured he just wanted to tag my number. I'm pissed, but have my wife and daughter on board so I just basically stared incredulously at the guy. Then he eases his boat forward about 100' drops anchor and drifts back to even with me still 30' or 40' away - AND STARTS FISHING! I was in awe. I watched to kid catch a Trigger then pulled up and left.

In retrospect, I should have told him that he was really making a mistake coming in on a boat anchored and fishing, and that some folks might be as easy on him as I was. Good way to have some lead sinkers accidently cast at your boat; or at least get cussed out and challenged to a butt whopping. AL registered boat and I guess either new to fishing, dumb or exceptionally brave.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

Replies

• REELTIME 2.0REELTIME 2.0 Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    It seems that the lack of respect that has taken over our land is trying to take over our ocean. Sad!!!!
  • jibberjibber Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Yeah I'd be extremely aggravated. Just get my number and come back later when I leave. Hell I don't even like bumping up to anyone on public numbers!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,193 Admiral
    On public #'s it happens a lot. Plenty of low life's out there.

Congrats on the fish!

It looked a bit rough for me to get out this past weekend. :(

Hope you're enjoying the new ride!
  • kanakakanaka Posts: 343 Deckhand
    If it was a small target area, you're gonna have neighbors. If it was a football field sized plus reef, I'd say "nuther googan".

If you want privacy on a spot, invest in a I pilot trolling motor, switch off anchor mode when someone shows up. Course, they could end up where you were fishing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • crcattypccrcattypc Posts: 632 Officer
    Or people could just learn to not be dumbasses and have some respect on the water
    :fishing:grin
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,210 Officer
    crcattypc wrote: »
    Or people could just learn to not be dumbasses and have some respect on the water

Agreed!

Glad you had a good day regardless.

Livin' the Dream !
  • snake 166snake 166 Posts: 101 Deckhand
    Never anchor on your favorite spots. Learn to hold the boat up or get a trolling motor with GPS lock on.

Have had boats push me off a spot---rude but no longer get upset---just move on.

This anchoring above you could be dangerous under windy/rough conditions.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    I had the same thing happen to me on Sunday. Guy pulled so close I asked him if he wanted to just tie up to me. After promising me an ars whoopin , I told him "way to show your kid how to act". Didn't say another word. They were so close I could hear a pin drop on their boat. He did catch 2 small snapper then the bite died. I moved 300 yards then got 3 28" gags in 3 drops ( only had one up until then... gags open in state waters in Franklin county)... I almost went back to show him what you could do if you just looked around a little.. super frustrating..,way to take the hi road
    You should have been here yesterday
  • FlickerjimFlickerjim Posts: 475 Officer
    I have seen this type of fishing since moving here 5 months ago. it's only gonna get worse as it heats up.. Looking forward to Snapper being open during the week cause that's when I get all my good fishing done. Weekends are just **** out of Destin Pass. Take the good with the bad.. fishing spots 3-9mi Offshore equals a lot of people fishing all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2003 21' Palm Beach V6 Yamaha 150
    Tight Lines and Clear Water
  • BuzzstockBuzzstock Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Hi Guys. New to the forum and the area and glad that you are posting on this subject.

I've been wondering about this myself. With the number of boats going out of Destin and PCB, what is the right way to handle this when you're fishing public numbers. There are three things that I would like to avoid....1. Conflict, 2. An **** whooping and 3. Being the subject of a topic like this on the forum. If I can avoid those 3 things and enjoy a day of fishing, I would consider that a win.

Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. The thread tells me what not to do but what do you do when you're coming up on a spot that has boats on it.
    Thanks.
  • FlickerjimFlickerjim Posts: 475 Officer
    Buzzstock wrote: »
    Hi Guys. New to the forum and the area and glad that you are posting on this subject.

I've been wondering about this myself. With the number of boats going out of Destin and PCB, what is the right way to handle this when you're fishing public numbers. There are three things that I would like to avoid....1. Conflict, 2. An **** whooping and 3. Being the subject of a topic like this on the forum. If I can avoid those 3 things and enjoy a day of fishing, I would consider that a win.

Any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. The thread tells me what not to do but what do you do when you're coming up on a spot that has boats on it.
    Thanks.

To answer the question.. Use your best judgment. I ran up on a public reef 2 weeks back, there were 2 boat on the spot, but I was able to cruise around the general area and find a place to drop. Everyone had enough space to maneuver, I don't think anyone was anchored up, so drifting was in full effect.
    I think that if you come to a spot with an anchored boat, give them the common courtesy and not just park next to them. but if everyone is drifting on the spot, be safe and share the area. that's just my 0.02$.. :wink
    Others may disagree, and that's okay. I just try my best to be safe and put fish in the ice box. Tight Lines Gents!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2003 21' Palm Beach V6 Yamaha 150
    Tight Lines and Clear Water
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,555 Captain
    In south Fl what you have described is very common. I used to get excited. Now I just let them sit there and watch me catch fish. They generally don't know how to fish and get frustrated after a little while. Supposed to be fun out there, not a life and death situation, and yes I've seen people brandish firearms over this stupid *****.
  • BigfootBigfoot Posts: 9,382 Admiral
    good on you, Dave
    Sometimes the nicest people you meet are covered in tattoos & sometimes the most judgmental people you meet go to church on Sundays...
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 831 Officer
    Throw up a dive flag and boats by law have to give you the safety distance. If they do not, take a picture of the boat and it numbers and report them. We keep a pair of fins and a mask on the boat at all time just in case we have to unwrap line or something else from the engine. Plus, if someone asks where are divers are we hold up the fins and tell them we are getting ready.
  • mdgreco191mdgreco191 Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    capcioffi wrote: »
    Throw up a dive flag and boats by law have to give you the safety distance. If they do not, take a picture of the boat and it numbers and report them. We keep a pair of fins and a mask on the boat at all time just in case we have to unwrap line or something else from the engine. Plus, if someone asks where are divers are we hold up the fins and tell them we are getting ready.

Now that is a good one!!!