Home Off Topic

Here's why we'll never see affordable health care in this country

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    mustang190 wrote: »
    Why should a healthy 30 something male non-smoker be paying for prostrate cancer or even ovarian cancer??

Because that's precisely what insurance is for -- spreading risk across large populations. Not dividing up populations according to risk and fleecing them all.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    So just what happened to people before the late 1960's before government jumped into the medical care game with both feet?
    People got sick the, saw doctor's, received care etc. But could pay for it. May had to make payments or help put a roof on a doctor's home (true story) but people got treatment.
    And as far as salaries go,, I would much rather have a surgeon cutting on me who was well paid, nice house, boat, vacations etc. Than one who is unhappy and in debt!
    Tarponator wrote: »
    Because that's precisely what insurance is for -- spreading risk across large populations. Not dividing up populations according to risk and fleecing them all.

So since I drive a 4 year old pickup I should pay the same as a guy with a brand new Bentley?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,513 AG
    My emergency appendectomy in 2011 was 33,000. The insurance company drew a line through 10 grand and just said "nope, not paying that" and they didn't. Neither did I. I'm just glad I had insurance. Would have bankrupted me.
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,572 Captain
    Not reading through all this but if you haven't learned how to play the game by now you are holding the shizz end of the stick.

My son smashed his finger a couple years ago. I bandaged it up and waited a day and it started looking bad so we went to the ER. The lady behind the counter asked for my insurance card and I said I don't have one...I do but F that. A couple hours later we left with his finger nail having to be removed and some antibiotics.

3 weeks later I get a bill. The hospital charged me $1,498. The doctor charged me $234. I waited until I got a collections notice which was about 3 months. I called the hospital told them all I could afford was $350. They took it and forgave the rest of the debt. I called the billing company for the doctor and told them I can only afford $100 and they actually said they can't discount it any less than $150. So I paid it and was free and clear. $1732 down to $500.
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,762 AG
    SJC wrote: »
    Not reading through all this but if you haven't learned how to play the game by now you are holding the shizz end of the stick.

My son smashed his finger a couple years ago. I bandaged it up and waited a day and it started looking bad so we went to the ER. The lady behind the counter asked for my insurance card and I said I don't have one...I do but F that. A couple hours later we left with his finger nail having to be removed and some antibiotics.

3 weeks later I get a bill. The hospital charged me $1,498. The doctor charged me $234. I waited until I got a collections notice which was about 3 months. I called the hospital told them all I could afford was $350. They took it and forgave the rest of the debt. I called the billing company for the doctor and told them I can only afford $100 and they actually said they can't discount it any less than $150. So I paid it and was free and clear. $1732 down to $500.

Way to play the game......
    Vote for the other candidate
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG

What about when some one gets cancer or paralyzed in a car accident?
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,284 AG

You should thank the rest of us for paying your debt. Hospitals get federal tax dollars to reimburse them when the uninsured and deadbeats don't pay their bills.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

So since I drive a 4 year old pickup I should pay the same as a guy with a brand new Bentley?

Your vehicle liability is based on several factors, your liability might be lower on the Bentley if it has more safety features. You comprehensive and collision coverage will be higher due to the higher value of the vehicle. Are you saying one life is more valuable than another?

Mini Mart Magnate

So just what happened to people before the late 1960's before government jumped into the medical care game with both feet?
    People got sick the, saw doctor's, received care etc. But could pay for it. May had to make payments or help put a roof on a doctor's home (true story) but people got treatment.
    And as far as salaries go,, I would much rather have a surgeon cutting on me who was well paid, nice house, boat, vacations etc. Than one who is unhappy and in debt!

In 1960 the life expectancy was 69 years. There were no CAT scans or MRIs. We did not have 10% of the drugs we have today. The advancements of medicine are expensive. Only 10% of Americans were obese (it is 35% today). There are a multitude of advances that make medicine more expensive. Doctors also get paid a lot more than in 1960. Doctors pay, because of government interference (medicaid / medicare) has been stagnant since the late 1980s. It could be argued that visits to the doctor would cost more without government interference.

Mini Mart Magnate

• Angler719Angler719 CrawfordvillePosts: 531 Officer
    Menzies wrote: »
    You don't believe the liability insurance that doctors and hospitals have to pay play a part in rising costs?

You understand malpractice insurance is not required in the state of Florida.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Angler719 wrote: »
    You understand malpractice insurance is not required in the state of Florida.

You understand that no doctor goes without it?
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    Ive experienced healthcare in Canada, it was great.

So a 6 month wait for an MRI is acceptable for you.
    Yes I have experienced Canadian Healthcare, I installed Equipment in their Hospitals for years. I trained their Doctors and Staff on that equipment., and had more than a few conversations about the issues with their system. Income tax 60%, plus sales taxes, fuel taxes etc etc. Free my ***.

My surgeon does. My urologist does. Just about every doctor i deal with has a sign in their office stating they don't have it.
    You might want to read ALL the signs next time you are at the doctor. They don't have to tell you, just post it in the office.

Uh oh.
    Angler719 wrote: »
    My surgeon does. My urologist does. Just about every doctor i deal with has a sign in their office stating they don't have it.
    You might want to read ALL the signs next time you are at the doctor. They don't have to tell you, just post it in the office.

But must have a substantial line of credit backing them up.

Plus, if found liable are still personally liable to the extent of everything they own.
  • HambweldHambweld Posts: 218 Deckhand
    Well I'll chirp in on this one. I had two lumbar disk replaced last November in Germany by one of the doctors that helped design it. First class from Atl to Düsseldorf Germany, 3 weeks in Germany (6days in hospital and the rest in a rehab facility the size of most hospitals for the remainder of my time there) total cost of trip including eating out with my family 45k. Then I had an outpatient hernia surgery in February at mayo... 29k And change. We have fancier buildings, bigger computer screens, and half of the quality as Germany. For twice the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,643 Admiral
    Hello Hambweld yall still working at southside? I started on phase 4 today. I think Van Ditty got phase 3. We're suppose to start on Sherwood Elementary before the end of the month.
  • binder077binder077 Posts: 30 Deckhand
    All I know is I spend way to much for my wife, son and myself.

Ours has tripled over the past 6-7 years.

I can only imagine how expensive it would of been if not for the affordable care act.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,437 Admiral
    The rate for insurance and hospital bills is insane. My son had a hospital bill when he was diagnosed with luekimea at day 53 of 1.8 million dollars. This is way before his bone marrow transplant which was way more. I never asked what that cost was. It was the least thing I was interested in. Something is wrong! He got the best of care though so I'm not complaining. I pay over $1000 per month for my health insurance at 60 years old.
    AC Man wrote: »
    The rate for insurance and hospital bills is insane. My son had a hospital bill when he was diagnosed with luekimea at day 53 of 1.8 million dollars. This is way before his bone marrow transplant which was way more. I never asked what that cost was. It was the least thing I was interested in. Something is wrong! He got the best of care though so I'm not complaining. I pay over $1000 per month for my health insurance at 60 years old.

Never mind that

How is he doing, hope he is in remission and the **** thing has left him.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,437 Admiral
    Never mind that

How is he doing, hope he is in remission and the **** thing has left him.

I thought you knew. He passed away after a 7 month fight at 31 years old. He beat every fight and had a successful transplant in remission but they wouldn't stop the chemo which drove him into respitory failure. I still don't understand why. Should have let him be.
    AC Man wrote: »
    I thought you knew. He passed away after a 7 month fight at 31 years old. He beat every fight and had a successful transplant in remission but they wouldn't stop the chemo which drove him into respitory failure. I still don't understand why. Should have let him be.

Arrggghh, I did know. Of course I did. During the fight and then you posted about some of the challenges you had afterwards. I think I posted that my daughter was in the Mental Health field and shared some of her experiences. That was just before we left for the three months in the Exumas in early March. When, obviously, my brain turned off!

How are you doing?
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,881 Captain

A lot of hospitals have "Charity" programs that will deeply cut the cost of med bills. This for noninsured, self-pay patients. It's probably how they were able to slash your bill.

• Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,881 Captain

As far as malpractice, it was explained to me that the doctor is much more likely to get sued if carrying MP insurance. Because of this, some docs may not have it.

Tort reform? I notice no one mentions it.
    It appears that the majority here are wanting a single payer aka. Government run healthcare. Okay, but remember the same people who do such stellar jobs like running the post office, education dept, DMV, VA and other agencies that everyone complains about. They will be dictating your medical care and your lifestyle.
    Be careful what you wish for.
  • HambweldHambweld Posts: 218 Deckhand
    stc1993 wrote: »
    Hello Hambweld yall still working at southside? I started on phase 4 today. I think Van Ditty got phase 3. We're suppose to start on Sherwood Elementary before the end of the month.

Na, we've moved on. Got 2 jobs in Valdosta, one in colquit, donalsonvile, Augusta, tifton & Macon. Gonna be real busy from July on. Btw, who are you???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course not.

But healthcare is not a vehicle choice, and a heart attack isn't the same as a broken windshield.
    It appears that the majority here are wanting a single payer aka. Government run healthcare. Okay, but remember the same people who do such stellar jobs like running the post office, education dept, DMV, VA and other agencies that everyone complains about. They will be dictating your medical care and your lifestyle.
    Be careful what you wish for.

First off, nothing about single payer "dictates medical care" nor "your lifestyle".

Oddly enough, my mail is still coming, the schools run every day, the last time I had to get a new driver's license it took all of 15 minutes, and the VA is, well, the VA -- an underfunded organization. Whose fault is the under funding again?

And we're still at the bottom of the pack when it comes to healthcare, trailing all of those countries who have chosen to go the single payer route without dictating medical care nor lifestyle.