Skip to main content
Home Tropics

What restriction on airline travel with rods and reels??

FishHeadFishHead Posts: 132 Deckhand
I am planning on traveling either to the Bahamas or Costa Rica, and not getting a straight answer on whether I can take my equipment. Anyone have first hand knowlege on the subject?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Replies

• tarpon9wttarpon9wt Posts: 110 Deckhand
    What airline?
    Travel rods, reels are not a problem on American Airlines. Make sure you check-in knifes. This info is from the TSA website:
    Fishing Rods / Poles:
    Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

Tackle Equipment:
    Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.
  • tunatakertunataker Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    I check my rods - packed in their aluminum tubes inside a jetbag with a TSA lock.

Actually saw a TSA guy freak out when they detected the graphite.

My jetbag is designed for 3 rods but I have been able to squeeze one more in it.

I guess I have been lucky so far - some trips were not direct flights but my rods always made it there.
  • FishHeadFishHead Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Thank you for the info, and it is American Airlines.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    The only problem you may encounter is when leaving Costa Rica if you have any lures/fly's or anything with a hook in your carry-on. I have seen Costa Rica's version of a TSA official confiscate lures and fly's.
  • offcourse2offcourse2 Posts: 15 Deckhand
    I check my rods in a rifle case still counts as 1 piece of luggage and holds a lot more rods than a tube!
  • Big BertBig Bert Posts: 44 Deckhand
    I've flown to Costa with some light spinning combo's, stradic 5000's & 4000's. Didn't bring too much tackle, just some flouro, 20 or so lures, and some sabiki's all in my checked luggage. Packed the rods with my buddy's surfboards, the reels, I carried on, but removed the spools and put them in my checked bags. Heard stories of customs requiring some guys to remove 300+ yards of braid from spinning reels that were being carried on.
  • tarpon9wttarpon9wt Posts: 110 Deckhand
    Did you travel yet? If so, how did it go?
  • crackerDcrackerD Posts: 124 Deckhand
    Idlewilde wrote: »
    The only problem you may encounter is when leaving Costa Rica if you have any lures/fly's or anything with a hook in your carry-on. I have seen Costa Rica's version of a TSA official confiscate lures and fly's.

This. No problem bringing equipment down. We put rods in a PVC pipe and carried the reels in our carry on. We left the stuff down there, but if you try to bring back reels with line on them, the CR airport security will make you strip them.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    crackerD wrote: »
    This. No problem bringing equipment down. We put rods in a PVC pipe and carried the reels in our carry on. We left the stuff down there, but if you try to bring back reels with line on them, the CR airport security will make you strip them.

I'm not doubting you, but at the same time, that's ridiculous. All they have to do is put the reels through X-ray to see if there are any aberrations within the line on the spool. Clear case of power/control issues on the part of CR officials.

For what it's worth, I have flown to CR with a big tube that held about 10 rods and it was a hair over 7 feet long, since all my spinning and conventional light tackle rods are 1-piece.

What I'm wondering (and can't get an answer either) is if the planes still have those vertical coat lockers up front. I sort of doubt it, since you see people cramming their coats in the overheads these days. But for those of us who travel to fly fishing destinations, standard 2-piece fly rods in their tubes do fit in those lockers. I hate travel rods and would sure like to be bringing my fly rods on the plane with me. That said, (knock on wood) I have never lost a checked tube.

If you check a tackle box, be sure to have a TSA lock for it. The baggage boys in San Jose will go through everything they can get open. My tackle box got ripped off big time on my return flight.
    .......Rick
  • td.td. Posts: 4,695 Captain
    crackerD wrote: »

I was down in CR last year and this was my exact experience. They didn't care about the rods or flies, but I had to take the spools off all my reels and put those in a checked bag. They were very nice about it and actually pulled a checked bag off the plane so I could put the spools in it. Get there a little early for your departure back to the States. Fyi, this was coming out of Liberia.