Home Off Topic

Gregg Allmän

toomertoomer Posts: 344 Deckhand
Another one with strong Florida ties bit the dust today. I saw the brothers at USF in May of 1971. We must remember their strong ties to Daytona and Jax area. One of the all time great blues singers and one hell of a song writer too.

Replies

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,440 Admiral
    Uh, already a thread started.My buddy in Ormond Beach has been told he ownes the house the Allmond family lived in back in the early days. Last time I saw him was at Miami Marine stadium in the late 70's
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 7,345 Admiral
    I was living in Key West when he was going through his troubles with Cher. He was living/staying in Marathon and played at the Brass Monkey. I made the 50 mile trek for a intimate show. Regardless of that I have always been a huge fan of the Allman Brothers. Last time I saw him was at Mizner park in Boca with Butch Trucks son playing with him.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• toomertoomer Posts: 344 Deckhand
    AC Man wrote: »
    Uh, already a thread started.My buddy in Ormond Beach has been told he ownes the house the Allmond family lived in back in the early days. Last time I saw him was at Miami Marine stadium in the late 70's

Missed that. My bad. Blame the rum.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,038 AG
    "I have Peru in my nose", Gregg Allman.

Great musician

Terrible person to be around

The coke kept him awake so he could drink quarts of booze a day.

If not for the liver transplant he would have died decades ago.

The way to go for a rocker is what Bruce Hampton of The Grease Band (Atlanta) did ... finished his guitar solo on the final song of the tribute concert being held in his honor and then keeled over on stage and died.

And the band finished the song before getting help.

Now That Is A Swan Song !
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    What's with the umlauts?
  • toomertoomer Posts: 344 Deckhand
    Don't know. They just happened
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,440 Admiral
    I always wondered how these guys like Jimmy page could play a lead guitar so amazingly while clearly stoned/drunk. How does that work? Hendrix too.
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,905 Admin
    I always wondered how these guys like Jimmy page could play a lead guitar so amazingly while clearly stoned/drunk. How does that work? Hendrix too.

When do you dance the best? At least in your mind?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz

They don't. I've heard a lot of sloppy play in live concerts.

And the sloppiest was Gregg Allman playing at a large concert in the old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. He was so fried that he had to be helped to his organ. Every lyric was slurred and the organ work was sloppy as a pig in a mud hole.

I was amazed that he was able to play the entire set as drunk as he was. It wasn't a bad concert. He just sounded like a slurring drunk singing the blues. And he could sing the blues.

The first time I smoked weed was at a Sunday afternoon free Allman Brothers concert at Piedmont Park. Seemed like Mountain Jam lasted two hours.

I bet I went to see them more than fifty times. This was when Duane was still alive. I went to a concert they gave at some small college. There were only a few hundred people there. I sat in a folding chair directly in front of Duane. I've never heard anyone come close to the way he played slide guitar. It was so pure and clean. And intensely mellow. If you know what I mean.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

ferris1248 wrote: »
    Allman Brothers, The Catacombs, Pennant Restaurant, 14th and Peachtree, Mother David, The Grateful Dead, Middle Earth Head Shop, Wet Willie, The Bistro, The Great Speckled Bird....

My favorite place in the time was Mary Mac's Restaurant. Best southern cooking in a restaurant I've ever had. Their turnip green pot likker was transforming. And one little fart from it would clear an auditorium.