Home General Fishing

Rod Question

BowRatBowRat Vero Beach, FLPosts: 18 Greenhorn
Hi,

I'm looking for the appropriate rod size for SE Florida offshore trolling.

I already have the reels (Penn Squall 50 Lever Drag). I already have 2 rods - International 5'6" 30-80Lb,

I'm looking for 4 more rods that I'll be using with the same reels as mentioned above.

Should I stick with the same rod specs, or should I consider another size/weight?

I'm considering a different brand/model rod - they are 5'6" 20-40Lb rated.

Any advice is appreciated.

BowRat
=================================
BowRat
Sea Hunt Ultra 234
Vero Beach, FL

Replies

• BowRatBowRat Vero Beach, FLPosts: 18 Greenhorn
    Anything? I'm just trying to figure out what rods to buy next. Not really what brand/model, just size and line weight rating. I'm not asking for brands/models because everyone's budget is different as well as preference in rods is different. Thank you!
    BowRat
    Sea Hunt Ultra 234
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    Call the guys at Chaos rods, they're very helpful.
  • BowRatBowRat Vero Beach, FLPosts: 18 Greenhorn
    Thanks Vinny, I'll give them a call. Thanks for the referral!
    BowRat
    Sea Hunt Ultra 234
    Vero Beach, FL
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,219 Moderator
    Personally I think your Squall 50's are too big for the usual suspects off South Florida unless you are running to the corner for yellowfins. I've got a pair of Talica 20's loaded with 20# Momoi Diamond and a pair of TLD 20's loaded with 30 Diamond. The TLD's are on custom made rods from an Ugly Stick blank (made back when you could get them.) The Talicas are on Daiwa Saltiga 20-40# rods. All rods are 7'.

What kind of boat are you fishing from. A 5' 6" rod is hardly long enough to get over an outboard if the fish is at the stern and goes under the boat. Yes, a short rod gives you the leverage advantage but there is such a thing as too short to be practical.