New Guy Report 5/21

Hi, my name is Matt, I run a 20ft trophy named Serotonin. I moved here a year ago and just now finally did some fishing by boat. This morning I launched from Pineland and ran out to Helen's barge. After a few attempts at anchoring we called close good enough. For a few hours we picked away at small jacks, a small grouper and a shark. Overall it was a good day on the water. I learned ome things and caught fish. Hopefully I'll have a few more reports coming soon.

Replies

• whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Near shore reefs can be hit or miss. One day you get all junk fish, the next you bring home cobia and permit. Thanks for the report and welcome to the forum.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 655 Officer
    Welcome to the forums
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 1,835 Captain
    Serotonin wrote: »
    Hi, my name is Matt, I run a 20ft trophy named Serotonin. I moved here a year ago and just now finally did some fishing by boat. This morning I launched from Pineland and ran out to Helen's barge. After a few attempts at anchoring we called close good enough. For a few hours we picked away at small jacks, a small grouper and a shark. Overall it was a good day on the water. I learned ome things and caught fish. Hopefully I'll have a few more reports coming soon.

Welcome!!
    Why does the name Serotonin ring a bell???
    Jim
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 152 Deckhand
    Thanks guys. I chose that reef because its close and made it easy to learn on. I came from MD and always trolled or bottom fished large ledges, never had to anchor on structure. I'll get it through trial and error. I was excited to catch anything at all. :fishing

I am also on tht as greasemonkey54 so you may have heard my boat name there.
    Not sure why it posted twice. I'll figure this out
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,529 Moderator
    Welcome to our SW section. Thanks for your post. There is a long learning curve, it is a great way to learn spending time on the water. Wetting a line, making a fishing pal or two.
    larrywitt
  • stoutnerstoutner Posts: 240 Deckhand
    Nice job. I used to have a 22' Trophy walk around with a 125 Merc two stroke. I liked that boat. It was good to me.

By the way, you might want to try looking for small ledges. I usually do much better on ledges for Snapper and Grouper. Go out to 50 feet + and drift around. If you don't get a bite within one minute, move a couple hundred yards and try again. Make 100% sure your bait is sitting right on the bottom. It seems if it is two feet off the bottom they won't bite. The deeper you go, the bigger the fish in my experience.
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner
    Reel Stout Sportfishing
    Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing
    www.reelstout.com
    Tikitown!
    SW Florida Vacation Rental
    https://www.vrbo.com/721414
    Thanks for the tip. How fast of a drift is too fast?

Im excited to learn. I've been experimenting with cast net throwing, anchoring near structure will take some practice. I had my boat for 2 years in MD and caught fish but was still learning every trip
  • dodger31dodger31 Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Try a drift sock from Bass Pro Shops. Does a great job of slowing the boat down if the wind is crankin. I plan on drifting a lot of the summer and Fall for grouper. Can't wait til gags open back up. I've been down here 3 yrs and I still learn something every time I go out.

You found the right forum to learn! Good luck!