A little help Pls for an East Coast Angler

I'll be heading over to Ft Meyers next week to fish w/ my brother for a couple days over Memorial day weekend.
We are going to try for Tarpon around Sanibel/Ft Meyers beaches. My brother has gotten pretty good at getting threads at the causeway. We would also like to try for Permit offshore one day if weather permits. My brother only has a 19ft Keywest Bayreef w/ a 150 Merc 4 Stk so we have to pick a good day. We've tried the reefs a few miles out past May reef w/ a little success in the past but no Permit.
Lately my bro has been trailering boat to Punta Rassa ramps to lessen the drive for bait and such (used to boat all the way from Mullock Creek). If we head out from there does anyone know some decent spots to try for Permit +/or Cobia offshore? I'm thinking we need to be further north and go at least 10 miles off to find decent areas?? You can PM me if you have anything to share.

Replies

• Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 682 Officer
    i dont fish the public wrecks much, but Ive heard that quite a few of them are holding some nice permit. Find the ones with high relief and you should find the permit.... Good luck!
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,073 AG
    Find a baitshop locally that stocks them, and do yourself a favor and get some small crabs. They work for both tarpon and permit -- better than threadfin herring. Crabs from 1" to 3" are perfect -- smaller ones for permit, larger ones for tarpon.

Tarpon will be on the beach in the mornings and in the passes in the afternoon. It will be a madhouse out there.

Permit should be on just about any wrecks from five to twenty miles from shore. I'm told they're eating well.

Wishing you easterly winds & good luck....Mike

p.s. please watch out for our west coast afternoon storms -- they generally fire up inshore and come offshore. Getting caught by one in a 19 foot boat offshore wouldn't be much fun. Be careful.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    No need to go ten miles for the permit but the deeper fish should be unmolested....

I caught a bunch earlier this week and had a run in with an idiot at the ramp who was upset that I kept one of them...

You'll need crabs
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Helens reef and the power poles to the north hold them from time to time. Cant hurt to try our closer ones here to the south. watch for tarpon jumping or bird activity while on the move to the reefs. I have caught permit on shrimp on jig heads. Most times while its sinking after I cast.
  • Strangegill88Strangegill88 Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Thanks for the help, Friday is looking good right now, light winds most of the day....let's hope the forecast sticks, would like to try for Permit before the weekend and a million other boats out there on a Holiday
    Yes, we'll likely hit up someplace for crabs. I know they're the best Permit candy.